Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are distributions from ESOP 404K fully taxable? Reported on 1099R Code U

strangelove
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes, it is fully taxable but not subject to early distribution penalty.  You may want to be aware that this dividend distribution does not qualify for capital gain tax treatment either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

14 Comments 14
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes, it is fully taxable but not subject to early distribution penalty.  You may want to be aware that this dividend distribution does not qualify for capital gain tax treatment either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
strangelove
Level 2
Thanks for your help- itonewbie
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Glad to be if help :smile::smile:
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
RLorgeEA
Level 2

So additional question on this topic.  Client received 1099-R with Code U, but he used the entire distribution of $12,500 to open a Rollover IRA.  If the ESOP distribution is fully taxable, and the program does not let me enter a check in the "Full amount rolled over" box, how do I reflect this on the return?  Thanks in advance for your reply(s).

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

You're sure that all code U for div from ESOP?  That's an awful lot for ESOP dividend.

That aside, the code normally won't let you have the cake and eat it too.  So, no, the reg doesn't allow rollover for div distributions from ESOP.

Still an AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

Roth is not tax deductible, so a "rollover" like this is not sheltered from taxes. The taxable distribution allowed this person to Fund their Roth. That's really all that happened.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Agree.  That's the way to look at it.  So long as the taxpayer has sufficient earned income (forget about the Code U distribution, which is not), the client can make IRA contribution.  Whether it's deductible would depend on whether the taxpayer is an active participant and the MAGI.

Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

And $12,500 exceeds the ROTH contribution limit.

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Something doesn't smell right with this one.

Still an AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

I used to copy Text from the original question, to see my specific reply in perspective, and to keep people from being able to Remove all original content.

Dang it.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Oh, wait; I see this is the new info, and I forgot: "Client received 1099-R with Code U, but he used the entire distribution of $12,500 to open a Rollover IRA. If the ESOP distribution is fully taxable, and the program does not let me enter a check in the "Full amount rolled over" box, how do I reflect this on the return?"

There; now it is documented.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Oh, actually, that's new info that got added to the thread today.  It's not in the original post.  No worries.

Still an AllStar
RLorgeEA
Level 2

I will have the client double-check on whether all of it was dividends.  Thank you for your reply.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @RLorgeEA.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers