Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APTC payback exclusion, watch your Sch A medical deductions!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The program is still throwing the payback amount over to Sch A, medical expenses...IRS has been rejecting returns due to this.

You need to go in and make a negative adjustment in the amount of the excluded payback on Line 2a of the medical Expense worksheet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

11 Comments 11
me112233
Level 4

Why are the professional programmers at intuit not able to fix this stuff the right way????  They took care the immediate issue (making people repay the advanced tax credit they actually weren't entitled to under the old rules), yet failed to fix the numbers flowing to other places.  Why do I pay the big bucks to this outfit for such sloppy work?

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

IRS has been rejecting returns due to this

Are you sure?  The seems weird.  I would have thought the IRS just sees "medical expense" on Schedule A, not any itemized medical expenses, such as "APTC repayment".

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Thats what people over in the PS FB group are saying
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1563504723861599/permalink/2817321665146559

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The software is only a tool and only as good as the person using it. We have to look for domino effects for all these new things that are happening.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

FWIW I noticed this on one of my returns already and corrected it before filing.....no rejection....whether it would have rejected if I had missed it?  I dunno.

aptcadjust.png

me112233
Level 4

Seriously, that's all you have to offer?  Obviously I detected the issue, else I wouldn't be commenting on it.  Thing is, the software ought not be making  the error in the first place.  Moreover, when an override is in the system, it can create difficulty with e-filing and other things in the tax return.  The software is supposed to be a TOOL to make the process faster and easier, and to REDUCE errors.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, thats all I have to offer. Nobody is telling you to override anything. Youre free to wait for Intuit to catch up with their programming and offer an update to do it for you.

These past 2 filing seasons are not the "norm", adjust/adapt/overcome.

bethlynnkelly
Level 2

HELP!!!  I keep getting errors and unable to efile on all my people who have APTC they would have to repay in any other tax year beyond 2020.  I checked the Schedule A medical page, and each has used all premiums for their schedule C business fully, so there are no numbers on the medical expense page.  I'm SO frustrated.  The error says that "the product is still being updating (their error not mine) to exclude the repayment from self-employed health care calculation".  IS THERE ACTUALLY AN UPDATE COMING??  OR am I waiting for nothing?

0 Cheers
bethlynnkelly
Level 2

I have attempted to adjust it as suggested above, but it does not clear the error.  This is sooooo frustrating.  I believe none of my clients actually reached over 7.5% AGI in medical expenses, so if i try to adjust on medical expense worksheet, it does nothing.  If I try to adjust the self employed health insurance deduction on any worksheets in any way, the error remains.

0 Cheers
me112233
Level 4

I don't believe they plan to fix it.  Proseries (formerly TurboTax before intuit got ahold of it and used the TurboTax name for the consumer product) was once the best of the sub $5,000 software packages.  It's now becoming clunky, cumbersome, and slow (very slow).  The program calculated faster on my old 386 based computer than it does on my well-equipped i5-6400. The programmers are getting lazy, and I think the company wants to push people to one of their higher-cost brands.  I never really liked Drake, but it's getting more and more tempting every year.

0 Cheers
bethlynnkelly
Level 2

That means none of these 16 clients can efile because I'd have to override at this point to make it correct? And then they'd have to wait 3 months for it to be processed????  I'm raising all heck tomorrow.  I'm NOT paying over $4k a year to upset my clients!  I did see an alert from 2 days ago and it "explained" how to "fix" it, but it doesn't work.  The entire alert is false information.  So angrYYYY!

0 Cheers