Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOTC DUE DILIGENCE QUESTION

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

On the AOTC Due Diligence worksheet, Question 23   

Were either of the taxpayers parents alive at the end of 2019?

If the answer is no, then they dont qualify for the refundable portion of the credit. (of course the Help file says no help available for this)

I dont understand how this is pertinent if the student is the dependent on the taxpayer/spouse return.....should this question not apply when the AOTC  is for a dependent? 

(I have no clue if the parents of the TP/SP are still alive, seems like a weird question to ask them...but obviously the parents of the dependent student are alive, its their tax return)

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

That is a poorly made worksheet created by Intuit.  That "refundable" section is only needed if the student is claiming the credit.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

That is a poorly made worksheet created by Intuit.  That "refundable" section is only needed if the student is claiming the credit.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I figured it should have said "students parents" rather than taxpayers parents, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't misunderstanding.

I tried to mark your post as Solved, but it gave me error!

@IntuitAustin  something got fouled up somewhere...this is what I get when I mark Bills answer as a solution.

solvederror.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Marie1
Level 1

The questions if either parent is still alive at the end of the year it only applies when the taxpayer is not a dependent and is under the age 24 and claiming the AOTC.

IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

I figured it should have said "students parents" rather than taxpayers parents, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't misunderstanding.

I tried to mark your post as Solved, but it gave me error!

@IntuitAustin  something got fouled up somewhere...this is what I get when I mark Bills answer as a solution.

solvederror.png

I marked it as solution for you. I've gotten that error before but it's usually been when my login session timed out.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
btks
Level 2

When I get that message I just refresh the page and it disappears.