Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOC

Mark76
Level 1

My client's son turned 24 in 2019.  The son attended college for over 5 months.  According to IRS rules for a qualifying child, he cannot be claimed as a dependent because he was not under 24 as of Dec 31, 2019.  Now the rules for a qualifying relative state that he must have earned less than $4,200 for 2019, he earned way over that. Therefore, the son cannot be claimed by the parent as a qualifying child or a qualifying relative nor can the parent receive credit for AOC.  Now on the other hand, the student can claim the AOC if all qualifications are met and there is no age limit.  Do I have this right?  Just want to inform my client the correct explanation as to why the son can't be claimed as a dependent for 2019.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Your assessment appears correct to me.  Yes, he can claim the AOTC as long as mom and dad havent used up all the years already.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Your assessment appears correct to me.  Yes, he can claim the AOTC as long as mom and dad havent used up all the years already.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Accountant-Man
Level 12

I did precisely this when my two sons graduated college. The eldest made a nice living, so since I didn't support him over 50% he claimed himself and his 4th year AOTC.

My second son earned much less in his first 7 months out of college, so since I still supported him over 50%, I claimed him and did NOT get the 4th yesr AOTC.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
BobKamman
Level 15

@Accountant-Man 

But your second son was under 24, or made less than $4,000-something, right?  

I'm glad responses here are calling it AOTC, I thought at first the question was about the Congresswoman from the Bronx.  

Accountant-Man
Level 12

Yes, he was under 24, and he made more than $4,050, but he was my dependent, so I claimed him and got only his exemption(it was in 2011).

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers