Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any issue with a blind taxpayer wanting to sign his return?

taxes---taxes
Level 3

Blind taxpayer is willing to e-sign his return with the help of his daughter. I don't really see an issue with that but has anyone had the experience? Any opposing feedback? Thanks!

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

In high school and college I was a reader to blind people.

They signed their names on documents. I read it to them and helped place their hand where they were to sign. 

I do not see a problem with this.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

In high school and college I was a reader to blind people.

They signed their names on documents. I read it to them and helped place their hand where they were to sign. 

I do not see a problem with this.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

As long as he didn't say he would drive down and sign it, go for it.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

@sjrcpa  -  too funny.... I read to the elderly when I was a kid (not legally blind, but still couldn't see well enough to read themselves).

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

I had a blind client until he moved out of state.  I would just go line by line through his return (pretty easy, 1040+Sch A) and then read the jurat on the 8879.  I would put the ball point of the pen on the signature line and he was pretty good about signing straight across (a couple years were a little crooked but these things just go in my file anyway).  Don't know what the right answer is, but it got the job done.

abctax55
Level 15

And in honor of Chuck...  CAGMC !!

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
taxes---taxes
Level 3
Ha!