Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaurd cat food for feral cats.

poolcleaner
Level 9

From Kiplinger!!!     A couple who owned a junkyard was allowed to write off the cost of cat food they set out to attract wild cats. The feral felines did more than just eat. They also took care of snakes and rats on the property, making the place safer for customers. When the case reached the Tax Court, IRS lawyers conceded that the cost was deductible.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

"took care of snakes and rats...making the place safer"

Makes me wanna' head right over to that junkyard to finish my Christmas shopping.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
16 Comments 16
abctax55
Level 15

"took care of snakes and rats...making the place safer"

Makes me wanna' head right over to that junkyard to finish my Christmas shopping.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9

If they put out cat food, they will attract more rats so the quantity of food will have to increase.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
I feed feral cats and also get raccoons, possums, and skunks.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
And you write it off, correct?  So your office is "safer"  :smiley_cat::smiley_cat:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
sure :wink::wink:

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Don't think IRS can argue with that :joy::joy:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15
"and also get raccoons, possums, and skunks."

Oooh, a petting zoo as a business!
"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
“and also get raccoons, possums, and skunks”

I do too but I try not to call my clients those kinds of names ——— unless I’m having a bad day.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Need to make a note of this as a tax planning idea.  May be able to offer this as a buy-one-get-one free deal for people who sign up for tax return preparation or charge for this separately as a value-added service.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Cats with Jobs.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Did the cats qualify for the work opportunity credit?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
You'd have to catch them to see if they qualified.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Only if you can get them to properly complete the new and improved W-4, so that you can give them a proper W-2. I sort of think the meals and lodging are actually for the convenience of the employer, so a non taxable fringe (hair?) benefit.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
George, they are only getting meals.  The lodging is questionable.
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7

So PC, are you going to start buying cat fud to attract feral cats to protect your pool from snakes? 

0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
So far the only snakes in the pool have been DeKay's brown snakes and they are totally harmless. Cat food would bring the rats that live in the creek 200 feet away.  Opossums I want! I fear the dog would kill any feral cats just the way he has killed squirrels and 4 possums.  I try to stop that but he is obsessed.
0 Cheers