Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a partnership that rents land to a campground. They cleared land by cutting and selling timber. How is this income reported & on which returns?

dmtaxxman
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

On the 1065.  Does the partnership only rent land or does it have other activities?

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

On the 1065.  Does the partnership only rent land or does it have other activities?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

and the selling of the Timber (unless their primary business is selling timber), would be a Schedule D Capital Gain.... and either short-term or long-term depending on the acquisition date. 

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
and what will they use for basis? Except for timber grower businesses, hardly any one has the basis for timber on their land.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
I had one who hired an appraiser. Plus all the costs leading up to the sale.
0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
Start with original acquisition costs....first step is to determine the allocation at that time of just the land, and just the timber. i.e. what would the land have been worth w/o any timber on it.  I live 15 miles from a paper mill, so I come across this all the time.  after you get the land and timber segregated costs wise, then you determine what % of the timber was sold...and that's your best gest estimate..
If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers