Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Owner wants to issue a 1099 MISC to himself in a C Corp

ddh2020
Level 3

My client is the only officer of a C corp and his former accountant usually reports withdrawals as "contract labor" on 1120, then report it as income on line 12 of his 1040.  Is it better to treat his withdrawals as dividends and issue a 1099 DIV for him as opposed to a 1099 MISC as he has been doing it? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 12

And if he takes money out of the profits they're called "dividends."

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
Accountant-Man
Level 12

And if he takes money out of the profits they're called "dividends."

0 Cheers
ddh2020
Level 3
Do companies usually do this? If i go the 1099MISC route, would that raise a red flag with the IRS?
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
Yes. Officer is an employee called "officer."
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Good thing his former accountant is his former accountant.  Now that you are in charge you can get it right.  If he is doing work for the corp he gets paid wages.  Wages get reported on W-2s.  W-2s mean payroll taxes and he needs to start paying payroll taxes.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
ddh2020
Level 3
He's not really an employee to the company since he perfoms work very sporadically.  I was thinking about issuing a 1099DIv instead that way he is not including this as expense on the corp return and pays tax on this income on his personal.  Could that be an option?

thank you
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
Work equals employee or contractor, not owner's share of profits equals dividends. Officer of a corp is an employee, not a contractor
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

This is pretty funny, if you read what you stated, again: "He's not really an employee to the company since he perfoms work very sporadically."

Work = work. You just described an employee.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers