Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AN ACTIVITY NOT QUALIFIED FOR THE QBI

corinnerichard
Level 3

ACCORDING TO THE HELP SCREEN IF A RENTAL INCOME IS NOT QUALIFIED FOR THE QBI THEY STATE TO CHECK A BOX AT THE TOP OF THE SMART WORKSHEET TO TUR OFF ALL CBI CALCULATIONS  I CAN NOT SEE A BOX.   THE WORKSHEET AUTOMATICALLY SAID YES TO THE ACTIVITY AS A QUALIFIED TRADE OR BUSINESS I WOULD HAVE TO OVERRIDE IT, IS THIS RIGHT?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
corinnerichard
Level 3

thank you found it, the basic pro series had automatically checked yes, new client has other rental properties, but previous accountant did not include cost of land.  on the depreciation schedule for a new rental property that was purchased in 2019  I included the cost of the land,  I think that is why the program automatically checked yes,  question is can I override it to show no, as his income changes a lot each year and he does not want to have to owe anything to irs.  thank you so very much

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
RollTide68
Level 8

on the schedule E worksheet there is a QBI Deduction Smart Worksheet that you can check

Schedule E Worksheet.png

lbones
Level 5

On the Sch E worksheet, just below line 22 is the QBI Deduction Smart worksheet.  Check the box that says no on line A

corinnerichard
Level 3

thank you found it, the basic pro series had automatically checked yes, new client has other rental properties, but previous accountant did not include cost of land.  on the depreciation schedule for a new rental property that was purchased in 2019  I included the cost of the land,  I think that is why the program automatically checked yes,  question is can I override it to show no, as his income changes a lot each year and he does not want to have to owe anything to irs.  thank you so very much

0 Cheers
tammie
Level 3

This was good information about turning off QBI on a schedule E.  Does anyone know where to turn off QBI on a partnership K-1?

0 Cheers