Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amendment because of dependents.

Opfor77
Level 4

I need to file an amended 1040 to remove both adult children (19 & 21).  How do I do that on form 1040X?  Row B for net change only allows me to override.  How do I remove them without overriding?  Specific steps would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Before we get to your actual question ... your post is waiving giant "red flags" in my head.  WHY are you removing the children?

BobKamman
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill 

Why are you so suspicious?  Certainly no professional would remove dependents just so they could claim rebates.  I just appreciate the honesty of the taxpayer who wants to give up the $1,400 he could otherwise have.  

Opfor77
Level 4

Filing married filing separate.  They have a legal agreement that it's the wife's turn to claim the kids.  I was not told of this arrangement, until I received a phone call from attorney & accountant of the wife.  The husband says it's correct, and he "forgot" to tell me...not the sharpest tool...

rbynaker
Level 13

Plenty of time to get those payments Bob (they may have already--unless they bank at Wells Fargu).  The amended return won't be processed for at least 6 months.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You should be able to just start the 1040X (check the year) and any similar amended State forms.  Then go the "Info" page (where you enter the taxpayer's name, address, SSN and the dependents), and just delete the dependents (right-click, then hit "delete line").

Then that should automatically change the 1040X to show that change.

As a side note, I don't know what your taxpayer's situation is, but MFS and an "attorney" seems to indicate that husband and wife may not be living together.  If your client wants to claim the children in future years, you need to check if he is eligible to claim the kids.  The kids need to have lived with him for over 1/2 of the year (or would have lived with him if the kids are temporarily away at college).  Likewise, the wife can't claim the kids this year unless the kids lived with her.

0 Cheers
Opfor77
Level 4

Thanks!  I'll look into that.

0 Cheers