Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amending filing status to married filing separate

amendmfs
Level 1

I already electronically filed a return jointly.  I know I can amend a joint return prior to April 18 and change the filing status to married filing separate.  Filing one 1040X allows me to change the status to MFS just for the taxpayer.  How do I handle the spouse?  I prepared another Form 1040 for the spouse with a filing status of married filing separate and electronically filed but it was rightly rejected by the IRS since the SS# was used on the original return.

Do I merely file a Form 1040 by paper for the spouse with a note explaining a 1040X was filed for the taxpayer or, do I prepare a second 1040x going from joint but this time to filing married filing separate using the spouse's income etc.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You'd paper amend the MFJ to MFS for the taxpayer, then paper file an MFS return for the spouse. Then wait 6-9 months for them to be processed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
fredr
Level 4

you might be on the wrong forum.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You'd paper amend the MFJ to MFS for the taxpayer, then paper file an MFS return for the spouse. Then wait 6-9 months for them to be processed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I would file new 1040s marked "SUPERSEDING RETURN" at the top of first page, for both of them.  Then wait --- well, my clients who did that last year, are still waiting for the husband's return to be processed. But it involved a community income split.  

taxes96786
Level 9

Bob is correct.  IRS does not want you to file 1040x before the deadline.

0 Cheers
amendmfs
Level 1

I appreciate all three responses.  I wish I could  have "clicked" that all were the correct solution since they all were helpful too me.  

0 Cheers