Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amending a return after agreeing to a CP2000

Level 1

Agreed to amount owed on a CP2000 for 2017 return.  Can I still file an amendment to recoup

some amounts stated on the form?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
3 Replies 3
Level 15

Why was it agreed to if it was wrong?

ACME Taxes, Tatoos, Tires and Turtles (I've expanded my line of products to better serve you)
Level 15

Yes. Be sure to document any changes very thoroughly.


Level 14

No, you don't file a 1040-X to close a CP-2000 case.

It is unclear what happened here, but maybe IRS proposed $X in tax, taxpayers answered that they only owe $(X--Y), and IRS agreed to the new amount, let's call it $Z.  

If that is the case, then IRS should send a recomputed CP-2000 that client (both, if joint) can sign as the agreement to $Z.  They can send a check with it also, or wait for a bill.

Don't agree to the Section 6662 penalty unless you see the supervisory approval.