Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amending a MFS return...sort of

Camp1040
Level 10

Taxpayer on the advice of his barber, decides to file MFS with TT and convinces spouse that this is the best option. Spouse comes in to have her taxes prepared and realizes this is a costly error.

Question: They now agree that MFJ is best; am I able to amend without the spouse having to file her MFS return before amending? Do I enter this as additional correct information on the 1040-X? I just can’t seem to think this scenario though. My initial conclusion, spouse has to file so information is available for IRS to process 1040-X. Spouse’s tax liability on the MFS tax return would be approximately $2800. ..Thank you in advance for any insight.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Amend his MFS to MFJ and include the wife's info, sadly, I dont think this amendment will be able to be Efiled, since Filing Status changes are one of the things that Efiling isnt allowed for on amended returns.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Amend his MFS to MFJ and include the wife's info, sadly, I dont think this amendment will be able to be Efiled, since Filing Status changes are one of the things that Efiling isnt allowed for on amended returns.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Camp1040
Level 10

I knew I wouldn't be able to efile since the husband prepared his return with TT. They will be waiting a long time for a response from a paper filed 1040-X.

Thank you for the quick response.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I had one like that earlier this year.  Client found out her husband was doing a little moonlighting, along with a little drinking, plus  I think she caught him jaywalking one day.  He doesn't want to report the income (no 1099, so no income), and she wants a divorce and to file separately.  Nine months later, she is willing to forgive the jaywalking and he decides to report the couple of bucks he made and they decide that they can't live without each other and really want to file a joint return for 2019 since he never filed a return.  Sometimes dealing with clients is like watching a soap opera. 😕

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Only "sometimes" ?