Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amend return so taxes will be paid via electronic funds withdrawal

catherine3
Level 3

My client, whose return I finished a week ago, wants to pay her taxes electronically. She was having trouble getting her identification year to match on the IRS website. I agreed to take care of it and I am also having trouble getting her identification year to match on the IRS website. I entered her social security number and address and previous addresses in every combination possible and I cannot get it to work. Can I file an ammended return just to add her banking information for an electronic funds withdrawal? 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

It could be something in the address.   For instance, it's common for addresses in my area to be CR## but IRS Direct Pay requires it spelled out County Road ##  -  even though the return had the CR abbreviation

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Amended return refunds are paid by check and contain no bank info. It would not process in time, and you are not amending anything on the tax return so that's not a solution.

Make sure you are using the correct information for the year you chose on IRS.gov, Direct pay. The 2020 should be the easiest, providing the IRS has processed it. You can try one of the other on-line pay sites that charge a fee but you'll get it paid.

dkh
Level 15

It could be something in the address.   For instance, it's common for addresses in my area to be CR## but IRS Direct Pay requires it spelled out County Road ##  -  even though the return had the CR abbreviation

catherine3
Level 3

It was indeed the address. Once I got the correct address, it worked. Thanks all!