Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amend a 2019 Form 1040? How do you do that?

hlousa
Level 1

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Same as any other year.  Efiling is closed though, so it will have to be printed, signed and mailed.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/amend-tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-an-individual-return-us...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

or...wait til the IRS opens back up e-filing, which historically is around the end of January or early February (non pandemic years).  If I have any to amend, based on the the IRS backlog, I  will wait and e-file the amended return. Even though every 1040-X is supposed to have human eyeballs review it,  I have more faith i that they will think the efiled ones are likely more accurate, and more likely then to take less time to review ( and  therefore easier to clean off their desk).   JMHO.  It took until September of this year, for them to process a paper filed 1040-X for 2018, filed in October 2019 for one of my clients.

Status of Processing Form 1040-X, Amended Individual Tax Return: As of November 13, 2021, we had 2.7 million unprocessed Forms 1040-X. We are processing these returns in the order received and working hard to get through the inventory. The current timeframe can be more than 20 weeks instead of up to 16. Please don't file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your amended return. Taxpayers should continue to check Where's My Amended Return? for the most up to date processing status available.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
IRonMaN
Level 15

But be aware, Intuit currently only provides e-filing amended 1040s for a handful of states.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@dd4vols thanks for the information ....Just talked to a client today and he still has not received the unemployment adjustment refund for his wife... What a JOKE....