Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I properly dispose of K-1 on an individual return?

vahaudio
Level 1

Client owned 20% share in an s-corp that sold in 2015. Their share of the sale was reported on their 2016 schedule K-1, Their 2017 K-1 showed some losses, and they received no schedule K-1 in 2018. Neither of the last K-1's received were "final".  If I choose complete disposition, I wouldn't want to show the same proceeds amount that was provided on the 2016 K-1. This would result in additional taxes owed. That being said, how would we properly dispose of the K-1 on the taxpayers individual return?  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Amend 2015 to properly dispose of the asset and any suspended losses or income from negative basis. Before doing that decide whether it is 2015 or 2016 that the S-Corp went away. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

Amend 2015 to properly dispose of the asset and any suspended losses or income from negative basis. Before doing that decide whether it is 2015 or 2016 that the S-Corp went away. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
or 2017. @vahaudio If client sold their interest in 2015, they should not have received K-1s for 2016 or 2017

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Maybe it was a private sale and the preparer of the 1120S never knew the 20% owner left. One of the many reasons I have to do S-Corps. The think being a corporation is cool, but they have no idea of what they got themselves into.

0 Cheers