Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allocating PIT paid to CA by a spouse on MFS return

Highlighted
Level 3

I have allocated the W2 wages for a spouse on my clients return.  I also entered the 1/2 of the tax payments paid by spouse for Federal and CA withholding.

The Federal return looks good.

CA says it can not be e-filed due to the tax payment not being reported on a W-2 or 1099?  

How do I resolve this so we can e-file?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
3 Replies 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

I have one of these that I will be filing in a few weeks, I was wondering if CA would squawk about the withholding not being attached to a W2....paper filing will probably be the route I take.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

I would love to not have to paper file.  Let me know if you find a way around the other income (non-W-2 or 1099) withholding issue. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

I discovered by accident that if you enter it on the 1099B line of the fed Tax payments worksheet, it shows up on the CA tax payment worksheet on the same line as if you entered it as "other" on the fed....but doesnt give the Efile error.

Soooo, not sure if that could be used as a workaround for Efiling or not.   I feel like it I put it on a dummy W2 (so it will Efile) it will still have an issue since the SSN on the W2 wont match the real one (and cause a mismatch issue), and if I put the withholding on the Other Line then I cant Efile.  So Im stuck the same way you are, I figure no matter what, the refund will probably be delayed.

Have I mentioned that I hate MFS returns in CA?  🙂

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers