Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alimony recapture for 2018

Michael
Level 1

I don't see how to enter alimony recapture for 2018. It should be on line 31 of Schedule 1 but I only see that we can enter alimony paid and not recaptured.

ProSeries Professional version 2018.10.00.24

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15
I agree with Terry53029.   What he has quoted from the TurboTax blog is consistent with the instructions given in Pub 504.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
So they deducted it last year as alimony paid, and the spouse gave it back to them in 2018?   wouldn't that make it alimony received?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13
Alimony Recapture is not about repayment. It is about the reduction of the payments over the first three years being too much. Is it $15,000 over 2 and/or 3 years?

Just add it to Other Income, the former line 21.
** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13
I googled it and found some neat and simple recapture calculators.
** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
Can't you just put in a negative number
0 Cheers
Michael
Level 1
I don't have a problem with the calculations. I wasn't clear but the amount is a reduction in income by someone who has already claimed alimony they received in prior years, so the amount wouldn't need to be a negative amount. The only issue I have is that there is no way to call it recapture instead of alimony paid as per IRS instructions.
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
this is from turbo tax blog. As the payer of alimony, you report the "Alimony Recapture" on Line 11 of Form 1040. As you already noticed, you must cross out the word "Received" on Line 11 and write in the word "Recapture". On the dotted line next to the amount, enter your spouse's last name and social security number or IRS individual taxpayer identification number. In order to do this you'll have print out the tax return (obviously) and paper file, do not e-file, the tax return.

0 Cheers
Michael
Level 1
So there's no way to do it and efile. That's disappointing but thanks for finding the blog, I didn't see that one.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
TurboTax may not have a way to Efile it like that....but you may be able to bypass error checking in ProSeries and still Efile.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
I agree with Terry53029.   What he has quoted from the TurboTax blog is consistent with the instructions given in Pub 504.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers