Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alabama Part-Year Return

Highlighted
Level 1

I have a client who lived in Alabama for 3.5 months of 2019, then moved to Virginia, where she is now a full-time resident. 

She must file 2019 return in Alabama because of the amount of her income. Problem is, ProSeries is moving ALL of her federal income into the Alabama return. It is NOT doing that for Virginia-the Virginia return is correct.

I am on my 5th Intuit support person with this problem. Still unsolved. Anyone else dealt with this??? Thanks a million for the solution if you have.

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
8 Replies 8
Highlighted
Level 15

What type of income sources does she have?

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

35 or so 1099s, Social Security, and pensions. Her federal income was $228K, Virginia was $135K, Alabama should be $65-70K. Instead, the software has it as $212K...which is the federal income, less whatever's not taxed in AL that is for federal.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

So, the software's treating her Alabama income as if she lived in AL for all 12 months, rather than the 3.5 months she did live there.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

On the federal information worksheet, have you completed the section for part year residents and used the part year resident allocation sheets to split the income between states?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

Yes-I've done all that. On the top of the AL return, it even shows her living there from Jan 1-April 14...then it rolls in ALL of the federal income. It's maddening. And I'm now on my 5th support person trying to solve it. 0 for 4 with 4 strikeouts so far.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Have you tried deleting the state return and starting the return from scratch?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

I have not. I confess I don't even know what that means, though I understand the words. I input all the stuff, it "trickles" into the state, I review federal, then review state (everything just falls into place on the state side), and fix errors as errors are flagged. The support lady on the line now may have me delete AL-I ran your suggestion by her. But I don't know how to do that.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

Deleted AL, deleted second state, rebuilt with AL first (her now non-resident state), same problem. Support person is baffled. 0 for 5, 5 whiffs.

0 Cheers