Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adv Premium Tax Credit Repayment as a Sch A medical ins deduction

suesayers
Level 3

I expected that an APTC repayment would flow to the medical expenses worksheet as a health insurance premium deduction.  Instead only the monthly premiums paid from the 1095A are showing up as a medical deduction.  I have read that a 2019 repayment is to be claimed on the 2019 tax return.  I am either missing something in the law or the input to Pro Series or??  Has anyone else figured this out?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

@suesayers wrote:

Yes. $4326 in Col A and $9,120 in Col C.  They are paying back the $9,120.  Line 2b on the Medical Expenses Worksheet for 1095-A premiums is only $4326.  Maybe I am supposed to input the $9,120 somewhere?

Something doesn't make sense.  Column A should not be higher than Column C.  Column A should be what the insurance company got, Column C is how much of that amount was paid by the exchange.  A - C = how much the taxpayer paid directly to the insurance company.

I think either the 1095-A was prepared incorrectly or perhaps there was some retroactive cancellation and the taxpayer got a big refund check from the insurance company that they now have to pay back to the government?

<sniff, sniff> Smells funny to me.

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Had a client that had to repay, and program did put the difference between column A and C that was on 1095A , and added what she had to repay on schedule A, so program was correct. My client took standard deduction, but the program did it correctly.

suesayers
Level 3

Hmm.  I have gone back to 2016 and do not see any adjustments for repayments on Sch A.  The current client has to pay back the entire amount in Col C.  Even without itemizing, it is deductible on the state return, and does not flow there.  I wonder if there is a box to check somewhere that I am overlooking.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Do you have amounts in both columns A, and C. 

suesayers
Level 3

Yes. $4326 in Col A and $9,120 in Col C.  They are paying back the $9,120.  Line 2b on the Medical Expenses Worksheet for 1095-A premiums is only $4326.  Maybe I am supposed to input the $9,120 somewhere?

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@suesayers wrote:

Something doesn't make sense.  Column A should not be higher than Column C.  Column A should be what the insurance company got, Column C is how much of that amount was paid by the exchange.  A - C = how much the taxpayer paid directly to the insurance company.

I think either the 1095-A was prepared incorrectly or perhaps there was some retroactive cancellation and the taxpayer got a big refund check from the insurance company that they now have to pay back to the government?

<sniff, sniff> Smells funny to me.

Rick

suesayers
Level 3

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me.  I am pursuing further with the client and expect to learn that there is more here than the form she sent presents.