Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adoption credit

sldcpa
Level 2

I have a client who generated adoption credit in 2016 and have been taking some each year and carrying over to each year after due to low income limits. This year the carryover credit is showing up on the carryover worksheet line 19, and I have entered all the information on the Adoptive child worksheet. The amount flows thru to the adoption carryover computation worksheet however it does not generate a form 8839. What am I missing? They are clearly below the income limits. When I go to look at form 8839 it shows no information other than Line 3 being checked no which is incorrect. On the Adoptive child worksheet the box is checked yes for did you file form 8839 for a prior year and yes child has credit carryover. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
BobKamman
Level 15

Do they need the credit or is their tax already zero?  Is 2020 the last year of the carryover, so the form is not needed to show carryover to 2021?

sldcpa
Level 2

Their tax is not zero, it is $4100. Their withholding is $5700. But it should still offset their tax. The credit was generated in 2016 so their 5 year carry forward  period is not up.It shows it being carried forward to 2021.

0 Cheers
sldcpa
Level 2

ok it appears that the software is not allowing credit to flow thru because adoptee is now 19 years old. However, back in 2016 year of adoption credit, he was 15. So why would software say he is too old now to take the carry forward credit even though it originated when he was age eligible. Pro series says can't carry forward if child not age eligible in 2020. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I thought I could use the carry forward based on the age in the year the credit was created.

0 Cheers
kmccoy
Level 1

I have a similar issue on the 8839. Only my line 13 is filled out with the right carryover amount but line 14 is blank, even though it just says "add lines 12 and 13". Did you get a response to this or any clarification from Intuit? I am starting to think the calculations are not working on this form.

0 Cheers
sldcpa
Level 2

I spent some time on the phone with support and they said the form was following IRS instructions. But the children were under the age limit when the initial credit arose. So, when I was trying things myself, I was able to remove the Child's year of birth on the Qualified Adoptive Child Worksheet and then the form calculated. I was able to e-file return and the credit carry forward calculated correctly and was entered correctly on Form 1040. Hope this helps.

0 Cheers
kmccoy
Level 1

Removing the kid's date of birth worked for me also! Thanks for the tip. Not the greatest fix but it got the job done.

0 Cheers