Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding physical signature to tax form in ProSeries

EAintheVI
Level 2

Is there a way to import my signature to proseries without the use of a signature pad?  I would like my signature to print when printing paper returns.  

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
EAintheVI
Level 2

Let me also add that I know it can be done under the "tools" section but the only option looks like it would via a signature pad only.  Hoping for a work around so I don't have to use a signature pad.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Any special reason why you want a facsimile of your physical signature on the return?

With Notice 2004-54 and Notice 2007-79, the IRS already established that preparer signatures "by means of a rubber stamp, mechanical device, or computer software program" are acceptable. This also includes "the individual preparer’s printed name", which most use these days.

Facsimile of your physical signature is not any more superior or acceptable to the IRS or your client, for that matter, other than perhaps in terms of aesthetic.  If you must, you can always add your signature to the PDF using a PDF editor outside of PS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
EAintheVI
Level 2

I just prefer it over the printed name when I need to file paper returns.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

If I were you, I'd sign with wet ink.  That definitely carries more recognition than a mechanically produced facsimile of your signature.

Otherwise, if you must, like I said, you can always use a PDF editor to add a signature (e.g. from a jpg or png file if you don't want to use a signature pad).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
EAintheVI
Level 2

I appreciate your time, but all I needed to know is if it was possible to add a signature to proseries without the use of a signature pad,  if its not possible then it is what it is but if it is, I just would like to know how to accomplish that.

0 Cheers