Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A used HVAC system value to write off on a rental property

solicito
Level 3

How can I get an approximate value of a used HVAC system. This is so it can be depreciated/write off on a rental property.

0 Cheers
15 Comments 15
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Can you clarify EXACTLY what you are doing that want to know the value?

0 Cheers
solicito
Level 3

Yes, so a rental property that put to use this year has a used hvac unit system. We would like to know approximately what is the value of that used hvac unit so it can be depreciated.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The HVAC is generally depreciated along with the rest of the house.  The only time you would need to separate it out is if you want to report a Partial Disposition.

Is there some other reason why you are trying to separate the HVAC from the rest of the house?

solicito
Level 3

I didn't know that. I thought the hvac unit could be depreciated separately from the house. So the same applies for any appliances? Like a a fridge, stove and so forth?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

HVAC is considered as part of the building itself, unless it is a portable or removable thing, like a window air conditioner.  Yes, appliances like the fridge and stove can be depreciated separately.

solicito
Level 3

Thank you so much TaxGuyBill. I have another question if you don't mind. Let me know if I should start another discussion.

What will be the best way  to give a fair market value of a used mobile home.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

How about real estate assessment for the fmv on used mobile home?

George4Tacks
Level 15
@dkh is this an assessment on the sale? If so, is it to the buyer or seller?
Is this an assessment on the purchase? If so, is it to the buyer or seller?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
dkh
Level 15

@George4Tacks ...... ...   I was just throwing out a suggestion for @solicito on how to get a fmv on the used mobile home

sjrcpa
Level 15

@solicito 

Client can get an appraisal for the mobile home.

Client can get a cost seg study for the rental property. IMHO probably not worth the cost.

Ex-AllStar
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Local realtors may give their takes on "realtor's opinion", as a means of marketing or PR.  That would NOT be "official" buy likely better than nothing and 100% cheaper than an appraisal.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Or, once they secure a tenant, back into the value using the local CAP rate for a mobile home, also perhaps available from a friendly realtor. 

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
solicito
Level 3

Thanks Everyone

hedgeslaw
Level 3

I think you are asking about the Expense Election under Reg. 1.263(a) promulgated in 2014.    Right?   I suggest you hire an old-timer HVAC person and have them give you a written estimate of the cost to install that kind of system at the time it was installed. Under that Regulation, you can expense certain property rather than depreciating it. The betterment, alteration or replacement property must cost less than $2,500 or must cost less than 30% of that "component's" original cost (or qualify under another provision in the Reg that doesn't seem to apply here). If the replacement cost doesn't meet one of those tests, the replacement property must be depreciated on its own as a new property. Either way, the original cost (good luck with that) and accumulated depreciation of that old HVAC unit, if scrapped or retired, may need to be dealt with in your depreciation schedule-this may result in a write-off of the undepreciated amount of the old unit. NOTE: Under the Regulation, the HVAC system is one of the 5 or so "components" addressed and defined in the Regulation and that defined building component includes: the duct-work, air handlers, electrical sensors and activators in addition to the heating and A/C units themselves and their filters, fluids, drainage, etc. So, if the cost of the new unit is less than 30% of that component's original cost, you can expense it under the Reg. If you elect to expense it, the taxpayer must make the election on their tax return. Additionally, this is probably a change of their accounting policy, but under the Regulation, there is no need to file a 3115 for this change but taxpayer must have a written accounting policy that complies with the Regulation.  If you can get the parts and installation cost individually listed on the invoice, and if some or all of the listed items are under $2,500, those items qualify as an expense under the Regulation. Then, if the remaining item that costs more than $2,500 is less than 30% of the component's original cost, it too would qualify for expensing under Reg. 1.263(a). If the invoice is just the total price, you'll need to get that original cost of the entire component from the old-timer and see if it is less than 30%. If so, you can elect to expense it. You can also use the common sense method ... for example, if you have 5 outside AC units and you replace one of them at a cost of $15,000 -- you only replaced 1 out of 5 or 20% and the cost qualifies for expensing ... and that doesn't include the rest of the system. 

Accountant-Man
Level 13

Depending on the size of the equipment(BTUs? Square footage?) I would do this:

1) Take several dice in hand(4, 5  or 6, most likely);

2) Roll them;

3) Depending on the number of dice, you will get a value between $1,111 to $6,666 for four dice; $11,111 to $66,666 for five dice, and $111,111 to $666,666 for six dice;

4) Depreciate.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.