Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a married couple, but one passed away

jasontran
Level 3

Hello,

I have never faced this situation before.  There is a married couple who file a joint return. But in November 2019, the husband passed away and he had income.  They have no dependents. What filling status should they  file. Does the husband need to file his taxes or just the wife? 

Thank you,

at

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jasontran
Level 3

Thank you Lisa!   But how would the husband sign the return? He already passed away. 

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They still file Married Jointly and you include both of their incomes.  

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jasontran
Level 3

Thank you Lisa!   But how would the husband sign the return? He already passed away. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

He obviously wont be able to sign.  Be sure you input his date of death into the Fed Info Worksheet, it will print Deceased - and his name/SSN at the top of the 1040.  The spouse would sign the return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

This is where a Ouija board comes in handy Smiley Embarassed

But if you are like me and don't have one, the IRS is always happy with the spouse's signature.

Slava Ukraini!
Accountant-Man
Level 13

You probably would have received the correct answer on the Turbotax page, since this page is for paid preparers.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.