Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/8 ProSeries Ask me Anything session 11am-2pm Eastern Time

Highlighted
last updated ‎December 07, 2019 5:52 AM
4/8 ProSeries Ask me Anything session 11am-2pm Eastern Time

Welcome to the ProSeries 'Ask me Anything' post.  Please use the answer question button to ask your question and use the tag "Question:" followed by your question.  ProSeries Product Experts will use the comment field to respond to your questions. Please note that Moderators cannot answer Tax Advice Questions, however, other Community Members and AllStars may contribute answers as well. 

PLEASE scroll to the bottom of the post and hit "Contribute an answer" to ask your question (or "I can Answer" depending on your view)  (Helps to ensure we see each question)

This post will remain live until 2pm EDT. 

This post is now CLOSED.

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

This post is now CLOSED

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
31 Replies 31
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

This post is now CLOSED

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help I'm panicking! How do you get proseries to aggregate income for 199 deduction? I have 15 partnerships and AGI of 1M but it won't calculate any QBI deduction. I have to aggregate businesses for gross wages to be correct.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Hi @kgalland Please read the above post with regards to this question, there isn't an election, program doesn't support. "For Aggregation there isn't an election that would be available in ProSeries. The program does support generating one Aggregated Statement. Instrucitons for that can be found here: https://intuit.me/qbiagg  As for any election statement, if the IRS requires one it would need to be attached via a PDF Attachment."
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
So are you saying proseries only allows one aggregation per return?
0 Cheers
Highlighted
That is correct, yes.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2

question:  Have Canadian Pension income that needs to be reported along with US Social Security benefits.  I've been advised to report on same line as social security but want to confirm that it is possible with PS Basic and if there is anything else I should be doing OR another place to enter.  

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Hi @Karen! Unfortunately the moderators are unable to confirm how the amount should be reported, as we are program experts and not trained in tax law. ProSeries will allow you to add that amount to line with the SS Benefits should you choose to do so.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2
Katie - Sorry, I didn't word that correctly.  I know how and where it should be reported I am just unsure as to where to report it in the program.  I can't find where in PS to enter foreign pension plans that are treated as social security.  That's why I asked here.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Understood, thank you! To confirm, what line and form are you expecting it to show on?
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
And just in case it assists you, I did find this article: https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1610645-foreign-pensions-annuities-and-social-secu...
Which pointed me in the direction of: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/the-taxation-of-foreign-pension-and-annuity-distributions
Both suggest that you would indeed enter then as normal, which you can find instructions for here: https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1609064-entering-information-from-form-ssa-1099-so...
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2
It should appear on line 5a of the 1040 but is entered on the Social Security Benefits Worksheet.  However, there is not a section for foreign benefits rec'd.  The amount will be added to SS amount but I guess if there's not a section if I should include a supporting statement where the two amounts are noted separately?
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2
Thank you for the links.  I will read them in depth but I did already read where Canadian Pension Plan benefits are treated the same as US SS benefits.  I'll compare all.
0 Cheers
Highlighted

Hi, I am in Proseries entering a K-1 into a 1041.  The K-1 has an additional K-1 for the State of CA, so when I go to the state in ProSeries, I do not see the K-1 to add the information which is different on the K-1 form I am entering.  When I use the "Where do I enter" option, it takes me to the K-1 that is being generated by the program, but not where I can enter data FROM a California K-1 form.

Thanks!

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Let me check into this for you
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
For this, you should be able to go to the CA return and enter the information directly onto the CA Schedule E page 2. This is where the information would flow it the K-1 was entered on the Federal side first as well.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

Hi,

I tried to process an extension for a MA resident yesterday.  We have until 4/17 this year because 4/15 is Patriots day in MA and 4/18 is Emancipation day so IRS is closed.  ProSeries gave me an error that the date for the extension/payment cannot be later that 4/15.  Is this a known issue and if so, do you know when it will be fixed?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
You would need to disable error checking for that particular return with that extended date included.  We are inquiring with our Development team so I will add a case for you as we may receive additional updates on this item.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2

how I was wondering how I can enter vehicle expenses for a business on my client's personal return? 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Hi @PhillyTaxBilly . Thank you for the question.  While we don't typically advise of where to enter something as this would be along the lines of tax advice.... There is a feature in ProSeries called "Where do I enter", it appears at the top tool bar in green, and you can type in there, for example, "vehicle" and there are options there, depending on what type of information you're looking to include.  Hope that helps.  You may want to post this to the main Community page as well for your peers to answer if you do not find what you're looking for there.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2
ok thank you henry
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1
question:  yesterday and today i have been having difficulty loggin into pro series.    I get a spinning blue wheel with note says proseries unresponsive...?
0 Cheers
Highlighted
What has changed from prior?  Updates to windows/av/proseries?
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1
Not sure..  I think proseries did an update friday but I worked all day saturday
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Ok, I have no widespread mention but there could be something.  I would recommend updating anything and be sure to reboot if you haven't already just to ensure you don't keep running into the issue.  But, if you are getting that wording.... I would be inclined to believe you may have a pending Windows update that hasn't installed
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1
I had it running at 7 am this morning, left my office and now i cant log in .,agin.  I will try rebooting  . if not I guess i call tech support
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

I cannot find the 199A Election to Aggregate at either the entity level or individual level.  There must be a statement attached to the return.  Any plans?

Question:

0 Cheers
Highlighted
For Aggregation there isn't an election that would be available in ProSeries. The program does support generating one Aggregated Statement. Instrucitons for that can be found here: https://intuit.me/qbiagg  As for any election statement, if the IRS requires one it would need to be attached via a PDF Attachment.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
It sure is hard to manually calculate so many items this year and have to constantly check the software
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
I followed the instructions in the video but I have multiple partnerships to aggregate into 3 separate businesses. It doesn't seem to be able to do that properly. I can't look into other software until after 4-15  and I need a fairly accurate tax estimate
0 Cheers
Highlighted
For the Aggregation in ProSeries it currently only works to create one aggregation.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess we are forced to upgrade software if we have complex returns:( I guess I'll be returning the call from CCH sales
0 Cheers