Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 tax Year -Entering Total sale of short long term stocks

Nile
Level 2

Problem with 1099 B entering total short and long term stocks:  When putting in the total for short or long term stocks the sold date cannot be left blank, it shows error, is there a work around it? Also, down at the bottom it doesn't allow to select yes for attaching a file - it defaults to No, is there any instruction for this anywhere?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive just been fudging in a sales date and using various for the purchase. We used to be able to leave the dates blank and just choose L or S

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive just been fudging in a sales date and using various for the purchase. We used to be able to leave the dates blank and just choose L or S

Camp1040
Level 10

I am not seeing a place to enter the date if you are summarizing total short or total long sales. I have just been entering Proceeds and cost basis as long as no wash sales were involved.

I use the worksheet "Form 8949 reporting exception transactions"  no dates required.

Nile
Level 2

I tried that, but at the bottom where it says attach a file Yes or No- it still defaults to No.  One more thing for adjustment code I used code M to show a file is attached, that seems to turn off the error message but it didn't solve my second issue, which is attaching a file- yes or no.... 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Oh you need to Code it M for that attachment box to mark yes.

Camp1040
Level 10

If all transaction are "basis reported to the IRS" I have never attached a file or statement.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I still don't get why folks find the form so perplexing this year.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I dont either, Im doing things the same as usual. And Im still not attaching or sending in anything extra, if they want the details, they can ask for it. CAGMC

Nile
Level 2

I appreciate your answers, but I don't agree with it: if you use the summary line then you don't have place to put in wash sales.  I always attach  detail statements if I use  totals, as It doesn't require that much work on myside and I don't like clients to worry about getting a notice letter in regards to their returns.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You don't need to for covered transactions, unless there are adjustments.

Ex-AllStar
Camp1040
Level 10

That is what this thread has been saying, we are assuming no wash sales in order to use the summary transaction boxes.

Nile
Level 2

If there are no adjustments - yes it works.  If you have wash sales and several of them then, do you enter each transactions?  Is that the solution? 

0 Cheers