Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 NJ 1040 tax return Covid Distribution 3 year spread. Was there a late NJ return proseries update?

JOHNNYCPA
Level 3

For 2020, I efiled both 2020 federal and NJ return. I took the 3 year covid distribution  $60,000/ 3 years.

I took $20,000 as income for federal return. NJ retun had no choice and recognized $60,000.

When I efiled NJ on 4/18/21, NJ took the entire $60,000 as CRD income. there was no  3 year spreading.

I printed and saved a hard copy of NJ return. Now when I go back into the tax software for 2020 NJ return, $60,000 was spread automatically the $20,000 as income for NJ.

Proseries does not have a reconcilation form of efiled amount versus amounts reported  on NJ return.  I heard NJ had an update late May 2021 after I efiled.  Is anyone seeing this or is there a ghost in my computer?

I wish Proseries can give an alert of what happened for 2020 NJ tax return for covid distribution.

2021 federal and state look okay for 3 year covid spread.

thanks,  john

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Reporting Distributions

The Division is flexible in reporting CRD distributions. You can report income over three years or in one year (the year of distribution). In either case, you must use State reporting calculations to determine the New Jersey taxable and excludable amounts, since most retirement plans include previously taxed contributions."

From: https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/covidpension.shtml

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Oh, I forgot the footer:

Last Updated: Wednesday, 05/12/21

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers