Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Form 990 Information Worksheet

KSG11
Level 1

Why does the form 990 worksheet require the social security number of the officer signing the return?  I don't believe this was required in past years.

Thank you,

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

15 Comments 15
PATAX
Level 15

Ksg, others have stated the same thing on different posts on this forum.... Do a search and you should be able to find it... Hopefully this will be resolved soon..

CPA1
Level 2

I have the same issue.  The SSN requirement of the Officer signing the return is new on the ProSeries 2020 Form 990 Information Worksheet Part VI.    Obviously my client (the officer of the nonprofit 501(c)(3) is not wiling to give me his SSN because the 990 is public information and is readily accessible to the public with 2 clicks on the EO search tool at irs.gov.    The IRS instructions say nothing about this new requirement.   If I leave it blank, the box is highlighted "pink" as an error.     Is there a "workaround" that Proseries has so I can efile the 990 without entering the officer's SSN?   

PATAX
Level 15

@CPA1 I do not think that Social Security number prints out on the actual tax return... enter the number and then print the return to the screen to make sure it does not print out.. Also if it did I would think that the IRS wood block that number out as they do I believe with our ptin number... Just my opinion

ihan
Employee
Employee

Hi KSG11, 

Starting from 2020, Officer SSN is required by IRS. It doesn't print it with the return. Officer SSN is needed for e-file purpose only. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

@ihan  -  A few folks here have tried to find that requirement and haven't had any luck.  Can you provide some kind documentation where it says that?  

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

its not just Intuit, it still just bounces around the requirement, hard to find the right keywords to search the IRS  instructions
https://www.withum.com/resources/are-social-security-numbers-required-for-new-mandatory-990-efiling/

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
ihan
Employee
Employee

Hi Ironman,

I am not sure whether you have the business rule access on IRS website. It is mentioned in Business rule "R0000-223 'SSN' in 'SigningOfficerGrp' in the Return Header must have a value". If you have further question, you can reach out to IRS mef mail box. (WI.MeF.MailBox@irs.gov)

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

@ihan 

But it appears that the IRS “recommends” it at this time but does not require it.  Until it is required why not give the organization the choice on whether or not they want to provide that info?

Slava Ukraini!
ihan
Employee
Employee

Thank you for your suggestion. We will allow the returns to e-file without officer's SSN. You should be able to simple ignore the error message after we update the program. I will post it here once the updated program is released. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Thanks - that would be great if that could be done.

Slava Ukraini!
ihan
Employee
Employee

This unexpected behavior has been addressed in a program update available July 19, 2021. You can  ignore the SSN error message on the information worksheet. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Thanks.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
sabatini
Level 3

Landed upon this thread after running into an issue e-filing without an Officer's SSN.  Per ihan's message on 7/21, the program has been updated to allow e-file without the SSN.  However, my program still reflects the error on the information worksheet, and the return fails final review when attempting to e-file.  Is there something else that needs to take place to allow the return to be e-filed?

0 Cheers
sabatini
Level 3

Decided to turn off error checking.  This allowed the return to be e-filed, and subsequently accepted by the IRS.  

cpasue
Level 3

Thanks - I am having the same issue with the officer not wanting to provide an SSN (fiscal year 6.30.21 that I am just filing).  I will try to take off the error check and attempt to efile it without SSN as well.

0 Cheers