Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Form 8915 Income Not Rolling Over to 2021

barrysafeer
Level 3

In 2020, I used form 8915-E t spread the Covid distribution income over 3 years.  Rolled over client to 2021 who used this form in 2020 and no income rolls over to 2021.  No form and no income rolls over.  Anyone know about this?  Any idea what's going on?  Seems straight forward that the other 2/3 income should roll to 2021.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

Right now, Form 8915-F is scheduled by Intuit to be in the programs March 17, 2022.

The gory details can be seen in this topic:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/re-form-8915f/01/190172...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
26 Comments 26
IRonMaN
Level 15

8915F - Coming soon to a theater, I mean tax return, near you in mid March.

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

IRonMaN   what;s the counter at on this one? 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

Right now, Form 8915-F is scheduled by Intuit to be in the programs March 17, 2022.

The gory details can be seen in this topic:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/re-form-8915f/01/190172...

0 Cheers
barrysafeer
Level 3

Not looking for 8915-F.  Looking for Proseries to rollover the balance of amount owed from 2020 8915-E.  

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

That would be version F.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

Form 8915-E is used for one Disaster year (2020) for one Tax year (2020). That's all. That means 2020 filing, and 2020 amendments. That's all.

Did you follow the link I provided, for the details? I put this one in Tax Talk:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tax-talk/discussion/form-8915-e-will-now-be-8915-f/01/186194...

It is too soon for anything to have transferred. Form 8915-F, as of right now, is listed by Intuit as expected to be finalized March 17.

Olympus Tax
Level 3

It is a great question and I just got off the phone with via chat with Victory in Tier 11 support and was informed that Intuit Pro Series Professional the software will not carryover the information. 

Intuit has decided to force all of us out here to input the information directly on schedule 1 other income.

0 Cheers
Olympus Tax
Level 3

I completely agree but Tier 2 support just informed me that it is all up to us.. they have no plans on fixing the gross oversight on their part.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Intuit has decided to force all of us out here to input the information directly on schedule 1 other income."

If it is anything like previous years, the form will be there. Efiling programs have two options: to send it as pdf attachment or to send the data using the "alternative" method (which is the data as a stream, not a form with a stylesheet). And that means the program accommodates data input, such as, a 1099-R worksheet with the provision to include carry-over info.

Not providing for efile for this form is in the IRS's schema. Intuit has not got an option, if the IRS doesn't provide it. Here is what the IRS released:

"Form 8915-F, Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments was not developed in XML for TY2021 as expected. Software developers who cannot attach a PDF binary attachment can use a 'GeneralDependencyMedium'."

"Schema will be developed for Tax year 2022/Processing Year 2023"

"Dependency may be updated at a later date."

Entered: 12/9/2021

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Lol, I highly doubt that is what they are doing. At this point we just need to all be patient. Lord help us!!!! 😂

qbteachmt
Level 15

"I highly doubt that is what they are doing."

Once again, I've gone to the IRS schema. Here's what is released:

MeF will accept Form 8915-B as PDF only. 
MeF will accept Form 8915-C as PDF only. 
MeF will accept Form 8915-D as PDF only. 
MeF will accept Form 8915-F as PDF only. 
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

no need to teach to me. I understand. Thanks.

qbteachmt
Level 15

I just figured, if people needed to ask every day, the least I could do is to see if there is anything new per the IRS. And, there is not. I try to give them links so they can look for themselves, if they are that worried that they need to keep asking here. Because, it will show up as released with the IRS, first, of course.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"so they can look for themselves"

Are you sure you aren't new here? 😁

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

My next answer: "I did all the lookin' last week; it's your turn this week."

And of course, there is the counter to manage.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@Olympus Tax 

Support (no matter what tier..) is most often W R O N G.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IntuitGabi

For the latest on 8915 please take a look at this article: Generating Form 8915 in ProSeries
The article will be updated if we have new information. 

0 Cheers
Olympus Tax
Level 3

Once again you answers are completely vague and a cop Out....

Intuit not handling the carryover is a complete failure in your commitment to your "valued customers" ...

There must be something new in the management and customer service over there. IN the past  a draft copy with "not ready to file" would have been set up.. it appears that the experienced software engineers are no longer working with Intuit as your failures in the software continue to escalate. 

ONCE AGAIN YOUR ANSWER IS NOT AN ANSWER BUT A WORTHLESS EXCUSE ON INTUIT PROSERIES COMPLETE AND TOTAL FAILURE TO KEEP THIS SOFTWARE UP TO DATE. INTUIT USED TO BE A LEADER, "LETS JUST BLAME IT ON THE IRS"... WE KNOW THE FORMS WILL BE LATE FROM THE GOVERNMENT!!!  

INTUIT SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THE LEAD AND AT THE VERY LEAST CARRIED OVER THE LAST YEAR INFORMATION INTO THIS YEARS PROGRAM... AFTER ALL THAT IS WHY WE PAY YOU THE BIG BUCKS..... 

REALLY ... THE IRS HASN'T TOLD YOU WHAT TO DO.. IS THAT REALLY INTUITS "PROSERIES PROFESSIONAL" STANCE...... 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

If they create the form, what's the big deal if you have to manually load in the starting point?  It's not like it is going to take a three hour calculation to get there.  I'm guessing they are making you do it manually since most folks will have the clients transferred over long before the form is ready and the information wouldn't be there for those folks.

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Gabi 

Thank you for the link and the update.

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I am actually amazed at how many seem to have actually made this election last year. I didn't have anyone even ask about it, 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, I don't have anybody use it either.  But rcooley had about 1/3  of his clients go that route so I can understand why some folks are more vocal about it.

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I can understand the frustration of those with a lot of clients who used it.

I didn't try to sell it to anyone either. I figured most of those distributions had withholding on them, which was available in 2020, so take the hit and be done with it.

IRonMaN
Level 15

That was my approach too.

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I had quite a few who did use the 3 year spread. So, I would like this sooner vs later but I also understand that if IRS has not finalized then how the hell can Intuit be expected to do their thing. 

I dont need PS to carry for me the amount that was spread. I am usually sitting with my clients or at the very least, I have the prior year open. If its completely needed, when PS is ready with the form, delete client and re-transfer. Im guessing then it may transfer. But if I have to manually enter it, so be it.