Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Form 1040-X

jalford
Level 1

Attempted to file 2020 1040-X but was rejected by the IRS. IRS Error Detail says the 1040-X was rejected because the "Amended Return" checkbox is not not checked. Therefore, a duplicate TIN was detected as the original return has been previously e-filed. 

However, the Federal Information Worksheet, Part VII, shows that both of the checkboxes under the Federal Amended Returns: 1. File federal amended return electronically and 2. Original return was successfully e-filed are both checked.

Is there another box to check. The file return electronically checkbox in Part IV is checked.

There is no 2020 checkbox shown at the top of the printed Form 1040-X.

Has Intuit not updated their forms?

Is it too early to file a 2020 1040-X, maybe?

Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks,

James

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If YOU didn't prepare and Efile the original, I dont think the software supports the Efiling of the amended return yet. 

Yes, I know the software has the checkbox for it and the instructions say it will work, but last I heard, its not actually functioning yet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
jalford
Level 1

James here, from first post below,

Also, client prepared and filed their own 2020 1040 using Turbo Tax. I re-created it on my Pro Series Professional, then saved it with new file name then amended the re-created original.

That's probably not going to work, is it?

Should I file a paper 2020 1040-X?

Any thoughts?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If YOU didn't prepare and Efile the original, I dont think the software supports the Efiling of the amended return yet. 

Yes, I know the software has the checkbox for it and the instructions say it will work, but last I heard, its not actually functioning yet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jalford
Level 1

I was afraid that would be the case. Figures.

Many thanks,

James

0 Cheers