Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 NOL

roniswindell
Level 3

Will Pro Series Basic automatically carry forward an NOL from 2019 due to Sch C business?  How is that going to work for 2020?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
14 Comments 14
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

A Sch C loss wont necessarily create an NOL...but if you do have an NOL, yes it should carryover to 2020.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Accountant-Man
Level 12

The GOP will be auto carried forward, and will only have to be adjusted if you carried it back.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Basic does not have Form 1045, so I assume that means it does NOT calculate the NOL.

If that is the case, you would need to manually calculate and enter it for it to carry forward (or use Professional on a Pay-Per-Return basis).

The 'default' is that a NOL is carried back 5 years.  So if you want it to carry forward, you need to make the election to "Waive the Carryback".

roniswindell
Level 3

Yes, it is an NOL whose source is Sch C.  Yes, you have to do the 1045 manually in Basic, but since all NOLs except some businesses that have special rules, have to be carried forward 2019 on, where do I input it on the 2019 return so that it will pick it up for 2020? 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

" since all NOLs except some businesses that have special rules, have to be carried forward 2019 on, " 

This is no longer true. As Bill said, they now go back 5 years unless you elect out. And you can elect out on the 2020 tax return.

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@roniswindell wrote:

since all NOLs except some businesses that have special rules, have to be carried forward 2019

No, the CARES Act changed that.  NOLs are carried back 5 years unless you file the election to Waive the Carryback.  [EDIT]  Susan beat me to it again.   🙂

As for your actual question, I don't remember.  The last time I had to deal with it I used a Post-It note in the client file.   🙂

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I just checked, and I think that is on the "NOL Worksheet", which is NOT in Basic.  So unless you use Professional for this return, you may need to use the Post-It method.

roniswindell
Level 3

Why does it say this in 2019 Basic when I pull up that election?

Filing Election 172(b)(3) In 2019 Smart Worksheet

Note:  Beginning in 2018 this election only applies to certain farm losses and insurance companies

Check this box to make the election to forego the carryback period.     I___I

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

'cause they didn't update it for the new law,

and where've you been that you don't know about the change?

Ex-AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
roniswindell
Level 3

Thank you. Looks like I can wait to forego until the 2020 return, but I think I will add the election to the 2019 return today just to see what Pro Series will do with that loss.

rbynaker
Level 13

The bigger question in my mind is why don't you want to carry it back and get refunds?

There are lots of valid reasons, I'm not saying these should always be carried back, just curious.

roniswindell
Level 3

After I looked at the carryback years, there was minimal amount of tax savings to be had. The client is on an upswing for 2020, so best use it in a year when it can be most profitable tax-wise.

rbynaker
Level 13

Absolutely, good for you and your client.  It helps to have 9.5 months of 2020 in the bag already to help with tax planning!