Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 tax extenders update

Highlighted

When will the 2018 tax software be updated for the recent tax extenders?  The IRS has already updated the 2018 Schedule A to include the  mortgage insurance deduction.  I would like to get my amended returns done prior to the swamp of 2019 tax season.

thanks

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
22 Replies 22
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

Once IRS updates a form, expect at least 3-4 weeks before the tax software companies have the form updated, approved by IRS and made available to customers.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Highlighted
Level 7

moongoddess could have saved some tying time, I posted similar question yesterday.

Highlighted
Level 15
And you received an excellent answer 🙂
ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
Highlighted

of course, do you ever feel that they do it on purpose to slam the preparers even more, LOL.....

thanks for the info

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2

I could not find the Revised 2018 Schedule A on the IRS.gov website.  I see they included the deduction for Mtg Ins Premiums on the 2019 Schedule A.....HELP please if you found it please send the LINK - I want to file the amended return before Intuit catches up with IRS changes to the Schedule A - that's if the Revised Schedule A for 2018 is really out there somewhere!  Many thanks...

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

This is getting a little ridiculous. It's March 21st...I still do not have the correct forms in my 2018. Is this an isolated incident? I have been updating daily. The IRS released the forms I need a month ago. How long should we anticipate waiting? 

The Stimulus will be based on the 2018 tax return...I have 154 people waiting on forms to be released to file their 2018 returns. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 7

Maybe, just maybe their are other priorities.

154 amended returns, that's a great revenue stream, treat it like money in the bank

Highlighted
Level 15

@MsGretle wrote:

This is getting a little ridiculous. It's March 21st...I still do not have the correct forms in my 2018. Is this an isolated incident? I have been updating daily. The IRS released the forms I need a month ago. How long should we anticipate waiting? 

The Stimulus will be based on the 2018 tax return...I have 154 people waiting on forms to be released to file their 2018 returns. 

You might have to wait until hell freezes over, which wouldn't be all that bad since that might kill the Coronavirus.  Personally, the safety of family, friends, and clients (which many of, I consider as friends and family) is a lot more important than tax returns right now.  Folks really need to get their priorities in order.

Highlighted
Level 3

@IRonMaN @Camp1040 

I couldn't agree with you more...The safety of my Client Family is paramount to me. They have been waiting for months for 2018 forms to be updated and their 2018 returns to be filed. Now, the stimulus is anticipated to be based on 2018 tax returns, this adds double stress and urgency to my clients' needs, meaning my only choice is to file the returns as is and amend them later. For many of my clients, the additional credits and deductions are the difference between owing and getting a refund, therefor making it even more stressful on my clients. The majority of my client base is in the South, lots of hurricane disaster areas, so the deadlines were extended for filing, but forms are not available. The anticipated date for release has come and gone 3 times since December. My hands are tied for all of these people's 2019 as well because the carryovers and NOL's are not calculating properly and manually entering them causes and error and prevents efiling. 

My priorities lie with my clients and their NEEDS for shelter, food, and safety. These clients are people being affected negatively by COVID-19. They are financially strapped and this "money in the bank"  they have been waiting on is not only past due, but causes a threat to the potential thousands of dollars they could be receiving from the Gov't stimulus.

My moral compass doesn't allow me to look at Amendments as a revenue stream. I couldn't imagine charging people extra to fix a mistake that was not in their control especially since I have been telling them "any day now" for 3 months. At the same time, my financial compass doesn't allow me to spend  $1500 and 150 hours out of my own pocket to fix an IRS/Intuit delay. 

So, if anyone has a viable solution that does not involve Hell's weather or sticking appendages in orifices, I am most eager to hear it! LOL

Highlighted
Level 7

I don't think I would count on  2018 amended tax returns to be processed quickly enough to affect any stimulus payment, if indeed that is how it is going to  be calculated. 

I commend you for preparing that many amended returns and not charging for it.

Highlighted
Level 3

Thanks, but the WHOLE purpose of my posting is to get help on how to AVOID having to amend 154 2018 tax returns. 

I have not filed the original 2018 tax returns for 154 clients because the forms have not been released in ProSeries. That is my point. If I click the button now, and send all of these returns in so that they will be counted for the Stimulus on April 1, then I will have to amend ALL of them at some point....a task I do NOT want to take on for free and I don't want to charge for it either...see the delima??

What is so frustrating is that the IRS has released the forms, but ProSeries has not made the update for them...to my knowledge anyway. 

It would be AMAZING for all if they would just give an idea of WHEN the forms will be available, then I could make a decision...but knowing my luck, I will hit the button to send them all and the update will be released the next day...lol 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

You have 154 2018 returns that were not filed that have extenders on them?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 7

Why would you have so many 2018 tax returns not filed, no one knew the extenders were coming. I must be missing something.

All the correct forms for filing a 2018 tax return for 2018 were in the software.

Highlighted
Level 15

Where do you get your info that April 1 is important for stimulus payments that are still just an idea as of today 3/22/2020?

Even if this is correct, and if you could efile those 2018 returns today, the info will not be in the IRS database by April 1.

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

Ohhh, I scrolled back up, hurricane forms for 2018 still arent available?  I havent seen any other complaints about this, seems like there'd be lots of them here.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

@Just-Lisa-Now- Yes m'am, I do

@Camp1040  - I am not sure how the why is relevant, but I always have tons of left-overs that are filed 2-3 years after the 4/15 deadline. I am currently cramming for all of my 2016 returns. I have known that there would be changes to forms for 2018 since December of 2018 when the Tax reform was challenged. A real good indicator is the box marked "reserved" on the tax forms, or the notice at the top of the form that says this form may change in the future. I also get newsletters from different Tax Attorney and  CPA blogs that talk about it. I did NOT think it was going to take them a whole year to get it together or my decision on waiting would have been different. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@MsGretle  

I think you run a more interesting practice than the rest of us 😁

Highlighted
Level 3

@sjrcpa 

The Washington Post, various articles, a ton of rumors, and a live televised interview with Trump. I am completely aware that nothing is in stone and that is just a guesstimate date, but at this time that is ALL I have to go by. I did not know that if I filed them all today that they would not all be in the database by April 1, 2020. That is a total game changer! 

It's been my experience that e-filed returns from previous years are processed in 7-10 days unless there is an issue. I know you can't see them on E-services, and they are not fully "in the system" for up to 4 weeks, but I thought for sure that once they were processed, they would show up in whatever format that was going to be used to calculate this potential mystery stimulus. The way that IRS does things has been a mystery to me for 30 years, so I try to just hope and pray a lot...lol

If you have any information that would be helpful in my calculations, PLEASE let me know!!

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

I'm just going by past experience. I have efiled returns and gotten acceptances. Then, about 3-4 weeks later I try to pull account and return transcripts at eservices and the recently filed return is not there (yet).

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 1

Yes but some of my clients can use the money to put food on there table right now. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

I have overidden the Diagnostic error for schedule 1. 

However this is really annoying that I can not amend yet for Mortgage insurance premiums, I have people that right now could really use the money. 

The box is there but it wont put it on the tax form.  Anyone know a way around that. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2

I realize corona virus, tax stimulus adjustments, lots of valid reasons for the five minutes of work needed to flip on mortgage premiums for 2018 would be delayed....  But really... At the time of this posting its 4/24 and still it's not been fixed for 2018? 

The field is there, the form is correct, there is no actual work to be done here except to enable the mortgage premium entry field to populate the mortgage premium form field which is already there.

(I just realized I posted this to ProSeries rather than Intuit Proconnect Tax Online, my apologies to the thread if it's already been fixed for ProSeries, and if it has... extra annoyance that it still hasn't been fixed for Proconnect Tax Online)

0 Cheers