Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 year comparison incorrect QBI deduction for 2018 is not populating - has this been corrected?

mpbTaxLady
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Early transfer bug...its generally best to wait as long as possible to transfer clients into the new year, December and even early January transferred clients may still have issues.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
mpbTaxLady
Level 2

I had transferred my 2018 files back in December, so for anyone with a QBI deduction in 2018, the 2 year comparison for 2018 doesn't show the QBI deduction.  However, the 2018 tax is correct.

I had corrected a few clients, but didn't realize it was a software issue.  Was this updated and I missed it? If so, you will have to re-transfer any 2019 returns with QBI or manually add the deduction to your 2 year comparison.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Early transfer bug...its generally best to wait as long as possible to transfer clients into the new year, December and even early January transferred clients may still have issues.

itonewbie
Level 15

Agree with Lisa.

There is never any transfer of data between returns or years that happens automatically.  Proforma is a manual process.  Once the data from 2018 is transferred to create the 2019 return, what has been proforma'ed will remain static.  The only way to change the proforma data is to manually alter the prior year data in the 2019 return.  Don't think you can do another proforma/rollover without messing up your existing return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
mpbTaxLady
Level 2

thanks for your reply - it's an easy fix to just add the 2018 QBI amount to the 2 year, but I just wanted to warn others that didn't realize this.  Are there other items that you are aware of  that didn't proforma properly?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

One year the taxable state refund didnt carry over properly, another time the list of other expenses on Sch C didnt carry over...Im sure there have been other things, the taxable state refund was a biggie that affected the outcome of returns,  it transferred all returns as having used the sales tax deduction, not state taxes paid, making none of the state refunds show up as taxable....I think most of the other ones have been cosmetic or within a worksheet like the 2 yr comparison.

I have a few sample dummy returns that I use as guinea pigs each year and transfer in early to fiddle with the software..I wait until mid-late January to transfer my own in then I only transfer clients in as they come in for their appointments.

0 Cheers