Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2/14 ProSeries Ask me Anything session (3pm-5pm EDT)

Highlighted
Employee
Employee

2/14 ProSeries Ask me Anything session (3pm-5pm EDT)

Welcome to the ProSeries 'Ask me Anything' post.  Please use the answer question button to ask your question and use the tag "Question:" followed by your question.  Experts will use the comment field to respond to your questions. 

PLEASE scroll to the bottom of the post and hit "Contribute an answer" to ask your question (or "I can Answer" depending on your view)  (Helps to ensure we see each question)

This post will remain live until 5pm EDT- POST CLOSED

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

This post will close in 15 minutes at 5pm EDT. To view our upcoming sessions please see the following announcement. 

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/announcements/1797837

Thanks for stopping by!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
49 Replies 49
Highlighted

This post will close in 15 minutes at 5pm EDT. To view our upcoming sessions please see the following announcement. 

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/announcements/1797837

Thanks for stopping by!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

I just got thrown out of the session the moderator must review my account.  I have to agree that this is an awful way to solve issues.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Hi @fvaughan53 I'm sorry that happened, please know that we are experiencing an issue with our spam filter today, and we will work to get that resolved so you don't experience behavior like that in the future.  Please know that no individual moderator gave you the "boot" and that we are here to help!  Thank you!
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3
Try Edge or Explorer.  I am in the midst of speaking with Intuit as I write this about Ask Me Anything not working in Chrome since about an hour ago.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

Just curious more than anything.  I use Basic with Pro downloaded for ppr.  In both programs when right-clicking on any particular line and selecting "about " that line, the help screen doesn't materialize.  If you put your cursor over the Pro 18 icon it shows the help screen as a separate page from the return screen.  I finally figured out that if I turn on a second monitor, it's a full screen on monitor #2.  Just curious as to whether this an engineered feature for 2018 or a glitch.  Those without a second monitor might not be able to access this feature.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Tax Year 2018 Help Center was designed to open on a second monitor when present to work a bit better on dual monitors. This way its not re-sizing the tax forms and worksheets while your working on them. If the operating system thinks there was a second one active I could see how that would definitely cause confusion as to what screen to open it on! Typically if the second monitor isn't on the Operating System does not detect it and the Help Center would open on the main screen. You may want to check the settings on your computer to make sure its set to only one monitor when the other one is off.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
I don't use dual monitors, but right clicking is like starting a car in Minnesota at 40 below.  I need to click it twice for it to open.
ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3
Thank you both.  I understand now.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

Question: Last year when ever I purchased a state or additional business returns, I received an emailed invoice. Late last year and just yesterday I noticed that I am not receiving this email.  I LOVED getting a contemporaneous invoice which helped to keep my records straight.  Any hope of getting this email process to work again.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Let me check into this for you
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
It may be possible that there is an issue with the email address on file, as you should be getting an emailed invoice. Is the email that you use for community the same as what is listed on your account?
(Please do not post any personal or account info, as I will be able to access that on the back end.)
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3
yes my email is correct and has been checked when I phoned in this issue in November I think, and I'm getting all of the notifications from this session
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Ok thanks for confirming. Let me take a look at your account and make sure everything is in check, we will go from there.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
@fvaughan53 I was able to double check the email on your account, all does look good there. I was able to 'push' a confirmation email from your PPR increase earlier today to test and make sure things are working correctly.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
You should be receiving that shortly
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3
I got the confirmation that you "pushed" but that seems to be the only way to get these invoices. HMMM
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Based on what I see in your account, other than today, you had purchased the Fast Path license in December and your last PPR credit in November. To be clear, you did not get those invoices emailed? Additionally, please do check your spam folder just to be sure, as the emails come from an automated system and can sometimes get filtered into junk mail.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3
flow through from S corp to 1040 for QBI calculation?
0 Cheers
Highlighted
When you enter the K-1 on the 1040 return there is a Qualified Business Income Deduction info (Section D of the Sch K-1 Wks - S Corporation) that would need to be filled out to generate QBI on the 1040 return from the k-1.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3
If the K-1 on the S corp had codes should it flow through or do I have to do more on the 1040?   I've tried to undo the entries in the 1040 and re-import though there seem to remain in blue the wage adjustment and the UBIA property adjustment.  There is nothing in D, but there is in E 3 and E 4 and E 6
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3
D1 has yes and D2 had no
0 Cheers
Highlighted
You would enter line 1-17 as you normally would. Then scroll down until you see Section D of the Schedule K-1 Worksheet. This part would need to be filled out in addition to the regular entry lines (or K-1 Import). This article gives you some screen shots of the section. https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1786756-proseries-simplified-worksheet-section-199...  Make sure you have double clicked on line K of Section D to link this income to a QBI Worksheet.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3
Thank you.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
How do we show depreciation allocated separately for a trust partner on a K-1 for a partnership
0 Cheers
Highlighted
@kgalland thank you for your question.  While this is boarderline tax advice and you may want to pose this for the general community, perhaps an All Star may be willing to chime in @IRonMaN @garman22 ... there is a section on the K1, specifically part 3 where you can enter Income, Deductions, Credits and OTHER items, perhaps there?  We can really advise of where to enter something but can help assist moreso if you know where you want a particular amount to flow (line example).  Hope that helps.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't figure out how to make it flow through because there isn't an option to enter a special allocation next to depreciation on Page 1. Since it is required for trust K-1s does proseries not have a workaround?
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Sorry, I've never been down that road so I can't help with that one.
ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Depreciation is part of the Ordinary Business Income on line 1 of the Schedule K. Since you can only do Special Depreciation of the Schedule K items you could do a special allocation but it would require quite a bit of math. If you determine what each partner should receive of line 1 (taking into account the depreciation change you are looking for) you can do a Special Allocation by Amount of line 1 to each partner. This article gives you info on entering special allocations. https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1607076-1065-special-allocation-to-partners
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
It doesn't work at all. I had already tried that and did a SA of ordinary income and tried to show depreciation separately but Proseries really messed up. It removed half of the 199a allocations and wages on the 199a supplemental sheet for some of the partners. No way I am going to try to correct all that. I think this is just one of the areas where it isn't capable of handling complex returns and we have to figure out how to override software to make it work. Too much unbillable time involved.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

Question:

I asked yesterday about the Form 1041 royalty income that was flowing through to the 199A statement and was told that the 199A calculations for 1041 were not final.  Do you have an estimated date on when the update to fix this error will be out? 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Let me check and see if we have an expected release date for 1041 Bonnie
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
@Bonnie thank you for your patience. The next release date I was able to find for the 1041 calculations is 2/28. If you are still getting a calculation error after that release, please reach out to support directly so they may assist further and help identify the issue. Their direct line is 800-434-6818.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

Question:  Is there a known issue with Federal Form 2210?   This client isn't subject to a penalty and isn't required to file Form 2210, but it is checking Part II Box A and then giving me an error message that this box shouldn't be checked. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Hi @michelle thank you for your question.  Yes, we reported this to development, so more information to come about that checkbox "auto generation".  Earlier today some users mentioned overriding that field allowed them to proceed, you can find that post by searching the 2210 at the top of this page.  Hope that helps.  We will share out more information as we receive it.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

Help on Schedule C QBI calculations are wrong!

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1
I have a Schedule C client who shows a $13,927 deduction for SEHI on the 1040 Scheudle. Most of that comes from a 1095A that was entered and linked to the Sch. C and $888 dental entered directly as SEHI Premiums. On the Schedule C calculations it is only showing the $888 and not including the amount from the 1095.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1
Everytime I post the information it disappears! This is the stupidest way to get support in the world

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1
Schedule C client with SEHI deductible amount on Form 1040 Scheudle 1 is $13,927 which is a combination of entry from 1095A + $888 entered directly on the SEHI deduction worksheet.

When I go to the bottom of Sch C to Qualified Business Deduction Info
Section E - Line 6a for SEHI for this business only shows the $888 amount and is not including the amount from the 1095A
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
I will check into this for you
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
I see that we do have an investigation open for this issue, and you have been added so you will receive updates in real time via email.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

Are there any plans to give a true cross-reference on 199A Worksheet by Activity, Line 3a Unadjusted Basis Immediately after Acquisition (UBIA)? By true, I mean that we shouldn't just be getting narrative of how the figure is derived, we should be getting a true cross-reference to the calculation of that field. See cross-reference on that same worksheet for 1a, 2a or for essentially any other field in which ProSeries inputs a figure into a field. We really shouldn't have to manually reconcile the figure provided by ProSeries to determine its source.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Thank you for your question @mdaviscpa i will look into this further for more information, in the interim if this is not a 'bug' and by design I will enter a product enhancement request on your behalf.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

Question:  The NJ fiscal FYE 9/30/18 corporate return has not been updated.  Page 1 still has DO NOT FILE in red letters.  Due date is tomorrow.  I've updated 4 times today and nothing.  Can anyone help with this?  Katie told me the other day that the update was supposed to roll out 2/13. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Glad to have you back Linda! I double checked with the team on this, NJ Fiscal should be released today- I do apologize I was a day early on that expectation. Historically updates get pushed in the afternoon, so keep checking! Again, did get the confirmation that NJ Fiscal are going out as final today. I will also keep my eyes on this to be sure
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3
Thanks Katie.  Wasn't sure if there was a problem on my end.  I'm going to blame NJ for the holdup.  This has been an issue since the 12/15/18 due date!
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3
Katie...I just had a thought.  The update I'm waiting for is attached to the 2017 Proseries, not 2018.  NJ is quirky where the year ended 9/30/18 is included in the 2017 software but has a 2018 date.  Are we talking about the same thing?  Corporations with a 9/30/18 year end file a Federal 1120 with a 2017 date but a NJ form with 2018 date.  
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Yes, I am referencing the 2017 program as well :smile::smile:
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3
Whew!  Thanks.  I'm really stressing about this (as you can probably tell).
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
I understand! No worries, I am here to help
0 Cheers