Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1120 vs 1120S

jsoles24
Level 3

My client filed a C Corp in 2017. In December 2019, the IRS accepted my client's election as an S Corp effective with the accounting period ending Dec. 31, 2017. As a result, I prepared an 1120S for 2017. Would the 1120S be an amended return or do I just file the 1120S as if the 1120 had not been filed?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

This doesn't really answer your question, but I don't understand how the IRS could accept a retroactive S-election to 2017.  One of the requirements for a late election is that it was treated as an S-corporation that entire time.  Filing a C-corporation return should have voided the ability to claim S-status in 2017.

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

This doesn't really answer your question, but I don't understand how the IRS could accept a retroactive S-election to 2017.  One of the requirements for a late election is that it was treated as an S-corporation that entire time.  Filing a C-corporation return should have voided the ability to claim S-status in 2017.