Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-R Direct Rollovers

sjescher
Level 3

My client received a 1099-R with code G and a taxable amount indicated.  ProSeries  is not recognizing the taxable amount (ProSeries thinks it should be zero).  Did the 1099-R payor code it incorrectly?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Don't rely on the document to tell you what happened.  Ask the client.

I've seen some in-plan conversions that had weird coding.  One time I had to split it into two 1099-R entries, one for the tax-free conversion and one for the taxable amount.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
rbynaker
Level 13

Don't rely on the document to tell you what happened.  Ask the client.

I've seen some in-plan conversions that had weird coding.  One time I had to split it into two 1099-R entries, one for the tax-free conversion and one for the taxable amount.

jtgcpa
Level 3

I could not agree more.  As CPAs, we should never blindly rely on a document issued by a third party.  When things look off, we need to do our due diligence and ask appropriate questions.  Then, if we need to get creative to force our software to achieve the result desired, then that's what we need to do.

We're the professionals, not the software nor the third party issuer of a tax document.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Did the 1099-R payor code it incorrectly?"

That is for the "money out" side. They are not responsible for the "money in" side. The client should have a 5498 (money In reporting) and be able to answer your question for what was done.

Is this from a retirement plan to a Traditional IRA? Is this a conversion? Is this Roth 401(k) to Roth IRA? More details would be helpful.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

@jtgcpa  "As CPAs, we should never blindly rely on a document issued by a third party."

Especially when so many of those documents are issued by other CPA's.  

sjescher
Level 3

Thanks for your reply.  I did what I could to make it "fit" Proseries, and there has been no backlash.  It was a delayed months-old post not originally posted correctly.  I don't remember all the details. 

0 Cheers
sjescher
Level 3

Thanks for the advice.

0 Cheers
sjescher
Level 3

Thanks for your reply.  I did what I could to make it "fit" Proseries, and there has been no backlash.  It was a delayed months-old post not originally posted correctly.  I don't remember all the details, but I think I split it up like you mention.

0 Cheers