Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-NEC for reimbursement?

Nancy100
Level 2

My client has received a reimbursement for medical expenses that she paid out for her son.  The company issued a 1099-NEC box 1 for the amount.  My initial thought is, shouldn't this have been recorded on a 1099-M box 3? And is there any way I can give her a deduction for these medical expenses paid to offset the income? It seems dubious to file a schedule C and write it off there as she was clearly not trying to be in business, nor did she provide services.  There also aren't enough expenses to clear the schedule A expenses floor. Am I missing something?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
BobKamman
Level 15

And if she files a Schedule C, the city will ask for her business license.  What is the amount involved?  Closer to $500 or $5,000?

0 Cheers
Nancy100
Level 2

It is $1200.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I would attach a one-paragraph explanation to the return, not that anyone at IRS is going to read it but in case your client hears from them in a couple years and you're not around to help.  I don't think that's enough to generate a CP-2000, even if your client is in a 22%/15% tax bracket.  

0 Cheers