Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-Misc for rental income received

nolanm
Level 4

Hi all

Client receives some rental income in cash, and some from a real estate agent who issues client a 1099-MISC for a couple months of rental for the same property.

Can I enter all rental income directly into E, or do I need to add the 1099-MISC into a 1099-MISC form so that the IRS picks up this portion?

Thank in advance for any advice

Nolan

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Norman2001
Level 7

If a client receives a 1099-MISC for rental income, I enter the information on the Sch E worksheet, Line 3 "Rental Income from Form 1099-MISC". 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sewcpa
Level 5

I NEVER use the 1099-MISC (or NEC) input screens. 

Make a copy of the 1099 to put in your file for your records (IRS does not care about the form it is only looking that the total income equals or exceeds what IRS knows about)

I frequently used the supplemental detail statement to list 1099s and other income to total the actual income (whether that is rent income or contract labor income or mortgage interest expense...)

Norman2001
Level 7

If a client receives a 1099-MISC for rental income, I enter the information on the Sch E worksheet, Line 3 "Rental Income from Form 1099-MISC". 

0 Cheers
nolanm
Level 4

yup I see that now, thank you Norman

0 Cheers