Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099 E-filing and IRS FIRE system

Karen4120
Level 3

For many years our firm has been using 1099Etc for our client's payroll and year end 1099/W2s.  This year when I tried to log into my account at the IRS FIRE system, I cannot get in.  I have tried calling numerous times and have been on hold or disconnected.  Tried to reset the password and that did not work.  In the past I have been able to reach a live person at FIRE with issues.  1099Etc has told me that they have heard other clients having the same problem.  He suggested I use their other method of e-filing (per form charge).  Before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone has run into this problem?  I have also tried to create a new account with FIRE but that did not work either.  Thanks!

Karen

0 Cheers
20 Comments 20
jbbccpas
Level 1

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/filing-information-returns-electronically-fire

Looks like you have to create a new user id ?  hope this helps.

jeff

qbteachmt
Level 15

If you sign up for government e-newsletters to your email address, you would get these announcements and notifications. This one came out maybe two weeks ago, including:

"Also effective January 1, 2022, a new FIRE Account User ID format will be required. It must contain,

• a minimum of 8 to 25 characters
  • both alpha and numeric characters, with
  • no special characters or no spaces. 

If your current User ID does not meet this criteria, you will be prompted to create a new User ID. At that point, the system will log you out and place you back on the logon page. You will then be able to logon using your newly created User ID."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive seen similar complaints in several tax pro groups on FB.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Karen4120
Level 3

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping it would be something simple like a new user ID but each time I tried to log on it never gave me the option to pick a new one.  Also, the new user ID format went into effect in Jan and I have been having this problem since Nov/Dec.  The first error I rec'd when I first signed on was "information provided is not correct" back in Nov.  The info was correct.   I tried logging on via different web browsers as well.  In my research, a someone suggested I create a new account and when I try to create a new account, I get "cannot find associated company information" and it wants me to apply for a TCC.  Do TCC #s ever change or expire? 

Thanks for the info about the notifications.  I will signup.  I had read on the IRS site that they would be improving the process (secure access) and there would be a new platform but existing FIRE users would be using this platform later in the year.  

Does anyone have an e-mail that I can use to contact someone as my last try via phoning the message said "call back another time". Not sure if they will answer emails either but might be worth a try.   I am under a time crunch with the 1/31 deadline.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

There is a lot of info at this link:

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/filing-information-returns-electronically-fire

I don't know if perhaps you were trying to sign in while this cut-over was going on. That system was down for a long time. A lot of these updates are seasonal, but system changes like this take even longer.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

What's the error you are receiving?

Print the screen and email them the error message with a copy of the screen print.

at: irs.e-helpmail @irs.gov

They will respond in 2-days

This is what I had to DO to correct my problem.

Karen4120
Level 3

Thanks!  Just sent an email.

Thanks to all for the help and info.  I appreciate it.

Julie2
Level 4

I have sent an email to the irs help desk, but wondering if anyone is having the same issue that I am.  I am able to login (sometimes), but after taking lots of time to get through the different steps eventually I get an error that says "An internal error has occurred within the FIRE system, we are sorry for the inconvenience.  You have been logged out.  Please log back in to continue your session."  It then provides a phone number that gives ZERO assistance when you call.  Is anyone else receiving the same message?  I have been unable to make it all the way to the screen where I can submit 1099's.  

0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

I had that problem with Internet Explorer.... Use a different Browser like Chrome or MS Edge.

Julie2
Level 4

I have tried all different browsers to include Chrome, IE and Edge.  

0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

Maybe they will extend the deadline?  It's a problem for many users and I heard that the FIRE employees are just as upset over the new system.

0 Cheers
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

I had same problem for over a week.  It is true it is an internal problem within the fire system.  Mine would go to a few steps at a time and then log out with same message. 

All of the helpful hints about getting new login or having to become authorized are not true for tax preparers with an existing TCC (transmitter control code).  All the rules about prior authorization are only for new TCC users.

SOLUTION:  You must verify your name is the same as when you signed up for Fire including capital letters if applicable, then you need lots of wine and a few beers to solve this particular problem.  You have to wait out the system until late at night.  Last Thursday night I tried to get on home computer late at night and it took me all the way to browse for files.  Unfortunately I had no files to transmit from home.  So finally Friday I took all IRS files and my software package home to load on my home computer.  I waited until 10:00 again on Fire.  After a few tries, maybe 10:30 I got all the way on and filed 33 clients.  I got email this morning that all were good.  You have to have patience and keep clicking on menu icon and next icons and keep drinking wine, but it works.  I am taking home 15 more tonight so if everyone could just stay off Fire tonight, that would be appreciated.

Julie2
Level 4

I just read your response, and it's true.  I was able to get all the way to the screen where they request your PIN and low and behold, I cannot remember the dang PIN from a year ago and I too am at home and don't have access to it here.  I will scour my desk tomorrow at work for it, but I can only assume that I am going to need to CALL THEM to reset the pin.  Let's just hope they answer the phone (yeah right).  I actually had several files I could have submitted too.  No wine or beer for me since I am 7 months pregnant.  

0 Cheers
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

They do make you re-enter your pin from last year.  It is just amazing that you can only log-in at night without a fight.  Good luck with re-setting pin.  Of course the new TCC people might have to wait 6 weeks to get authorized. 

0 Cheers
Karen4120
Level 3

Now your talking!  I like the way you think.  Wine is a must for sure. 

0 Cheers
IRACPA4U
Level 3

I am having the exact same issue!  Was able to get a call in to the help number but the agent blamed it on my browser.  I use Chrome.  I tried other browsers, still wasn't able to get in. Then the agent said it was just that so many people are accessing the system and to keep trying............. ugh!  I dont know what else to do....

0 Cheers
Julie2
Level 4

Update, I remembered my PIN when I woke up out of a dead sleep at 4a.m.  I logged right on and submitted the files I had ready.  Whew boy, IRS needs to get it together for the sake of us preparers.  Having to login late at night or in the middle of the night is ridiculous. 

dkh
Level 15

LOL This is something only another tax preparer could understand !  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
So true! Love those mysteries that solve themselves in the middle of the night!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
lisagengland
Level 2

It does not prompt me to create a new user id, now what?

0 Cheers