Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-B

mnassimi
Level 1

I have a client who give me 1099-B consolidated form. On it there are numerous long and short term investment with a line that shows summary of short sale and summary of Long term. I want to attached his 1099-B consolidated form with the return, so I  only entered the summary lines. My question is how to report the gain on the investments on long term if the client did not receive any of it and the company just reinvested in his account

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
itonewbie
Level 15

"Short sale" is selling securities you don't have in the hope of the price falling.  It is a type of transaction that generally results in short term gain/loss but it is not the same as short term investment.

Whether your client received the money or not does not make a difference.  All the gains and losses still need to be reported as taxable income because your client already has constructive receipt and can do with it as he/she wishes without any restrictions (e.g. reinvesting in other securities).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'm guessing OP means short term sales not short sales.

Ex-AllStar
mnassimi
Level 1

Thanks for quick response. 

itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @mnassimi!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers