Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-b worksheet is terrtible

ljr
Level 8

The idea of a 1099-b worksheet is good. The design and functionality of this one is terrible. Did they have any accountants actually help them design it? Trying to do a sale of land for one client and sale of second home for another and I'm trying to follow instructions and intuit "help" but I'm not finding this easy at all.  Either I'm getting old or this make no sense at all.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
It works fairly similar to the old Sch D entry screen, just scroll down past all the brokerage info.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
akamaimtg
Level 2

Agreed.  This link should shed some light.

Entering stock transactions
https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-1099-b/help/methods-for-entering-stock-transactions-for...

akamaimtg
Level 2

I do have a question regarding 1099-B Brokerage and Barter.  A son was given stocks as a gift.  The mother gifted $15,000 and the father gifted $15,000.  The investment firm issued various 1099's (dividends and proceeds from sale of certain stocks) which was reported on Proseries..  In addition, the consolidated 1099-B shows the full amount of proceeds gifted but this should not be reported unless there is a sale, correct? 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Proceeds would be a sale, is it the parents 1099B?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
akamaimtg
Level 2

No, that is what is odd.  The investment company issued the 1099-B to the son.  I should not have to report the transfer of the $30,000 but rather the dividend income the son received and the sale of certain stocks during 2020.

0 Cheers
IL-Tax-Pro
Level 3

The SON sold the stock given to him be the parents.  The 1099-B goes to whomever sold the stock.  I hope the parents have the cost basis of the stock purchases from the parents.   He will need this to determine the taxable gain.