Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1041 Estate Extension in Texas

Stumpedagain
Level 3

I have a 1041 Estate return that was originally due on February 15, 2021.  Because of the winter storm.in Texas, the IRS gave all returns due after February 11 an extended due date of June 15, 2021.  Because client has not brought all the info yet, I had to get an additional extension (5.5 months for a 1041 Estate).  My question:  Does the additional extension give me 5.5 months from June 15, making new due date November 30 or is the 5.5 months counted from the original due date of February 15, making it due on July 31?  Can't find an answer to this anywhere...anyone know?  Thanks for any input...

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
IntuitMark304
Employee
Employee

Please review the link below for guidance on due dates related to individuals in disaster areas:  

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-extends-may-17-other-tax-deadlines-for-victims-of-tennessee-storms-...

While I recognize this guidance is aimed at individuals specifically, I think it can provide guidance in your scenario.  This press release from the IRS states, "Disaster area individuals who need more time to file, beyond these postponed deadlines, can get it by submitting a request for an automatic extension. This will extend their filing deadline until October 15, 2021. The IRS emphasized that this additional extension is not an extension of time to pay."

I hope this helps you determine the correct extended filing date for the trust.  

0 Cheers