Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040X

MBSC
Level 1

I goofed and applied the 2019 overpayment instead of requesting a refund. How do I enter this to print 1040X.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Youre trying to amend to get it refunded instead of applied?  I dont think you can do that.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Im sure I read on IRS.gov that it is possible. Go research it. 

George4Tacks
Level 15

Do you have third party authorization? If so you should be able to just call Practitioner Services and have the refund mailed to the client. https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/practitioner-priority-service-r

In the olden days, before this little pandemic thing, the taxpayer could call 800 829-1040 and ask for it to be refunded. 

Life is a little different now, but I am pretty sure that a 1040X is not the solution. It would be a paper form that MIGHT be processed before the client needs to file for 2020, but .....

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

A taxpayer can elect to have an overpayment refunded or applied to the subsequent year’s estimated tax payment. This election, once made, is generally irrevocable (Sec. 6513(d); Regs. Sec. 301.6402-3(d); Rev. Rul. 55-448). 

I dont know if you can revoke it with a 1040X.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

A taxpayer can elect to have an overpayment refunded or applied to the subsequent year’s estimated tax payment. This election, once made, is generally irrevocable (Sec. 6513(d); Regs. Sec. 301.6402-3(d); Rev. Rul. 55-448). 

I dont know if you can revoke it with a 1040X.

Maybe I was wrong, I swore IRS.gov addressed this issue due to the virus. I agree with the 1040X not being the way to go. 

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

a "superceded" return? 

BobKamman
Level 15

There's this thing online called the Internal Revenue Manual

Credit Elect Problems
  1. A taxpayer may elect to have all or a portion of an overpayment credited to the next year's estimated tax (ES). The "credit elect" can be recognized by TC 836 on the current year's module and TC 716 on the following year's module. Access CC REINF or CC IMFOL if there is no data on CC TXMOD.

Note:

The Service will apply the credit elect to the next year’s estimated tax periods in the order necessary to avoid the addition to tax for underpayment of estimated tax. Taxpayers may request to have an overpayment credited to another year/period other than the immediately succeeding tax year or period. See IRM 20.2.4.6.2, Rules for Applying Offsets Under Section 6402, at (2) for guidance.

2. When a taxpayer inquires about a refund and research shows the overpayment was applied as a credit elect for the following year, the overpayment is only refundable if:

1. It was applied as a credit elect to the following year due to a processing error.

2. The taxpayer is not liable for ES, and he/she erred in entering the overpayment as a credit elect.

3. The taxpayer files a balance due superseding return and requests a credit elect reversal to satisfy the balance due. See IRM 21.4.1.5.6.1, Credit Elect Reversals, for additional information.

4. For an individual taxpayer, the taxpayer is liable for ES payments but proof of hardship is provided. See IRM 21.4.4.3, Why Would A Manual Refund Be Needed?.

Reminder:

Refer to IRM 20.2.4.8.5, Credit Elect, for instructions on payment or nonpayment of credit interest on credit elect reversals.

Caution:

If none of the instances in (2) above apply, the election to have the overpayment applied as a credit elect is binding and the credit cannot be reversed.