Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040X amended return for 2020 year

JOHNNYCPA1
Level 2

I am doing an amended return for year 2020 in proseries basic. It will be efiled.

unemployment of $5,000 was not added  with a $500 federal tax withheld.  Although the first $10,200  is exempt as income, the amended return is prepared to get the $500 back as refund.  

Proseries software populated the changes for the $500 withheld amount but there was nothing shown for income and deductions.  Should there be income shown on line 1 of 1040X eventhough the income did not change?  I called proseries and technical support said the software should populate line 1.

please help.  

john

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
rbynaker
Level 13

If the AGI was low enough the unemployment may have been excluded from income.  What does the updated Schedule 1 look like?

JOHNNYCPA1
Level 2

PROSERIES POPULATED THE 1040X of what changes were made which was federal withholding only.  the exempt unemployment (up to $10,200) did not change his AGI.

I assume the 1040x is right based on the proseries software.

john

IRonMaN
Level 15

It is correct.  The original return would not have reported the income in total AGI since the unemployment was below the cap.  So the 1040X isn't going to reflect any changes other than the increase in withholding.

Slava Ukraini!