Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040-x e-filing problem

mblack999
Level 2

I'm having a problem getting the 1040-x e-filed.  Keeps telling me that the original tax return has to be e-filed and accepted (which it was). I also get a "duplicate ss # message" and when I correct it, it takes the original out of the e-file database.  HELP...I feel like I'm stuck in catch-22.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Let' s say you have a client file named  SmithJohn.19i that needs to be amended.

If youre going to make a copy before amending (I never do, I just save a printed or PDF of the original, its not correct so I dont see a need to keep it as a computer tax file) then the copy you save should be something like SmithJohnOrig.19i and uncheck the EF boxes on it.

Then use the same file that you Efiled originally SmithJohn.19i to create and Efile the amendment. 

That way the program recognizes the original as being Efiled by you and also, when you roll the file into the 2020 program next season you're still using same the SmithJohn. tax file that has the correct info into the new tax year.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The original was Efiled and accepted by you using ProSeries?

0 Cheers
mblack999
Level 2

Yes, a few months ago with Pro-Series.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

and youre using the same client file to send the amendment? or did you make a copy and are trying to efile the amendment from a copy?

0 Cheers
mblack999
Level 2

I made a copy and renamed it with an "X" at the end of the file name...then did the tax form checking off to e-file the amended return. Should I have done the copying part differently?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Let' s say you have a client file named  SmithJohn.19i that needs to be amended.

If youre going to make a copy before amending (I never do, I just save a printed or PDF of the original, its not correct so I dont see a need to keep it as a computer tax file) then the copy you save should be something like SmithJohnOrig.19i and uncheck the EF boxes on it.

Then use the same file that you Efiled originally SmithJohn.19i to create and Efile the amendment. 

That way the program recognizes the original as being Efiled by you and also, when you roll the file into the 2020 program next season you're still using same the SmithJohn. tax file that has the correct info into the new tax year.

mblack999
Level 2

Lisa...thanks for your help. I was able to e-file the amended return. The trick is to use the original tax document file, amend that file, then e-file it....just like you said.

Mike Black

BWJCPA
Level 1

Lisa,

What if the original return was e-filed by a different preparer using an unknown software (or even by the taxpayer using TurboTax)? Is there still a way to e-file the 1040-X in ProSeries?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No, sorry.  We dont have that capability with ProSeries.

0 Cheers
BWJCPA
Level 1

Is this something that is going to be updated at some point? 

My understanding is that other software packages don't have this same limitation.

0 Cheers