Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040 occupation field left blank

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just transmitted a tax return and realized the occupation field was left blank. Is this bad, are there repercussions, or am I just paranoid and there's nothing to worry about. Thanks.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I thought I heard the sirens from cop cars heading your way.  

Yeah, you are a little paranoid.  I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over that one.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

I thought I heard the sirens from cop cars heading your way.  

Yeah, you are a little paranoid.  I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over that one.

Slava Ukraini!
jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

I am surprised you were able to transmit the return because ProSeries usually returns an error alert when that field is left blank.

But, yes, why the IRS even has this line on a tax return is beyond me.  It is frankly none of their business.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive seen new clients bring in prior year returns from other preparers with the Occupation box empty, I didnt think ProSeries let us do that, its always prompted me for an entry.

At any rate, it will be fine.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, I have never tried e-filing with it blank to see what happens.  But for the record, I have an extremely high number of brain surgeon clients.  Well at least that's what their occupation is deemed to be when they don't provide me with an occupation 😬

Slava Ukraini!