Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10% Penalty on IRA/401(k) with CARES Act

ChrisW
Level 2

The CARES Act stated that any IRA/401(k) early withdrawals would not be subject to a 10% penalty if under $100,000.  ProSeries is currently calculating the 10% penalty.  Has anyone else run into this?  Is there some sort of box we have to check that I cannot locate?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

By the IRS instruction Covid related distributions should be reported on the 8915E not just the 5329, there's a few other threads on this.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/re-10-early-withdrawal-...

if you look at Notice 20-50 bottom of page 11 it says:

A qualified individual receiving a coronavirus-related distribution is entitled to the following favorable tax treatment with respect to the distribution by reporting the distribution on the individual’s federal income tax return for 2020 and on Form 8915-E, Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments (or if there is no federal income tax return for 2020, by filing just Form 8915-E).1 First, the 10% additional tax under § 72(t) (including the 25% additional tax under § 72(t)(6) for certain distributions from SIMPLE IRAs) does not apply to any coronavirus-related distribution.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

17 Comments 17
IRonMaN
Level 15

Try form 5329 - exception "other"

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Whos running the counter on this question? We've gotta be getting up there!

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I believe you meant to say Corona related distributions......"any" distribution would not qualify. If you or your client qualifies, use 5329 to offset the penalty under "other". 

sjrcpa
Level 15

With all the COVID changes, we may not have enough counters. Can we get some more from the ACME catalog? I'll chip in some of my old points.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

I'm happy to donate some/all of mine too.  Well, maybe not all as I suspect we will need to upgrade the "why can't we efile yet" counter.  We still have 8 days to go on that one.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

Counters are on back order at ACME ---------------- they have been selling like hotcakes this year.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Thanks for being proactive on this.

Ex-AllStar
taxiowa
Level 8
Level 8

Yeah, only covered individuals qualify.  You can't take money out to buy a house or boat and qualify for 10% exception.  Bunch of financial people were telling people there is no penalty for distributions under 100K.  But that is not the case.

ChrisW
Level 2

The person qualifies.  I would have thought Intuit would have done a better job with a separate box for the CARES Act, but I guess not.  Looks like I will use "Other".

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

By the IRS instruction Covid related distributions should be reported on the 8915E not just the 5329, there's a few other threads on this.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/re-10-early-withdrawal-...

if you look at Notice 20-50 bottom of page 11 it says:

A qualified individual receiving a coronavirus-related distribution is entitled to the following favorable tax treatment with respect to the distribution by reporting the distribution on the individual’s federal income tax return for 2020 and on Form 8915-E, Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments (or if there is no federal income tax return for 2020, by filing just Form 8915-E).1 First, the 10% additional tax under § 72(t) (including the 25% additional tax under § 72(t)(6) for certain distributions from SIMPLE IRAs) does not apply to any coronavirus-related distribution.

ChrisW
Level 2

Thank you.  I took a CPE course on the tax changes.  The 10% waiver was briefly mentioned but not the 8915-E Form so reference to that helps.  Of course the form is not finalized so I am on hold with the return.  I also found the check box on the Corona-virus related distribution under the Qualified Disaster relief area. 

0 Cheers
karekjb7
Level 1

Just be careful clicking the disaster relief because in ProSeries it removes 2/3 of the distribution to be taxed over the next few years and if your client wants to just get the tax over with this year that could be a big mistake!!

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"because in ProSeries it removes 2/3 of the distribution to be taxed over the next few years"

Form 8915E, right below Line 5 is the option to pay tax on the whole thing, no 3 year spread.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
SoCal920
Level 2

Q+= when will the form 8915E be available in ProSeries?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

It's ready now.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@SoCal920 wrote:

Q+= when will the form 8915E be available in ProSeries?

Update your program, then fill out the disaster section in the 1099R worksheet and it will auto populate the 8915E.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15
0 Cheers