Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why an error message for no EIN on 1099G.

JeffCPA
Level 3

I am getting an error message on my 1099G forms for state and local income tax refunds for the state of PA.  I have never gotten this error message before, and I never enter an EIN number.   The error message is telling me that I need to enter an EIN number.  I happen to know the state of PA's EIN, but I do not know the EIN for local tax collector.   This is extremely odd, as I have never had this message before.  PA does not even send out 1099G, and they are not on the list of states that require an EIN for efiling.   This seems like a new error message.  I have also never had this kind of error message for local income tax returns 1099G forms either. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TAXOH
Level 11

You need to enter the EIN at the top of the worksheet right above state abbreviation. 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Seems like they pop up with this stuff when more than 1 state is involved.
Does this help?
https://www.atxcommunity.com/topic/14415-please-provide-your-states-ein-and-address-that-would-be-sh...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
JeffCPA
Level 3
Thanks for sending this, but unfortunately this does not help.  I had actually found this same link myself that you now forward.  I entered the EIN for PA that is shown on this, and I get an additional error message that says the "EIN number I am entering on the form does not match the number at the top of the worksheet".   I have not entered any number at the top of the worksheet.   Also, this tax season I have prepared many, many returns with state and local income tax refunds in PA, and not once have I been asked to provide an EIN or seen this error message I am now seeing.    There is not more than one state tax refund involved on this return.   PA has a local earned income tax as well.   So that is why there are two refunds involved.    Thanks for your effort.  I feel like they made some kind of change to software the other day, and somehow that change has now messed this up.   Who knows.
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

You need to enter the EIN at the top of the worksheet right above state abbreviation. 

0 Cheers
marycoin77
Level 2

my proseries pulled from last year local and SD refunds, so I can't delete them out and it says error. Cannot override them. So, delete 2018 and start new? or go back to 2018 and delete and re-pull?  Nothing is working and I have used proseries for over 12 years.

0 Cheers
jeffrey
Level 5

What would be nice, is if ProSeries would enter the EIN for State tax refunds in the data base, so it pulls up al the info like 1099-r and w-2 that I have multiple clients with same.

Arizona  Tax refund for example, I have hundreds of clients every year, yet the software does not remember from one client to the next, or one year to the next. I can enter a 1099-R in a new client, and if the same EIN was used for another client it auto populates.

0 Cheers