Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stimulus check for incarcerated client

Greta
Level 9

I wonder if anyone has come across this. My DUI incarcerated client expects to leave detention shortly, has not received the stimulus check.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
BobKamman
Level 15

Was a 2018 or 2019 return filed?  With what address?  If a refund, was it a direct deposit?

IRS made up out of thin air some FAQ that incarcerated citizens don't qualify.  That will be challenged in court, and they will probably lose.  Might take a while,  Claiming it on 2020 return might be faster.  

As I told my 80-year-old client who just got her $1,200 check in the mail last week:  I know IRS said it would be deposited directly to the same account where your Social Security goes.  But I also know they lie a lot.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

The IRS can't keep track of who is dead or alive, so I'm guessing they don't know your client is incarcerated.  Tell him to have patience.  If nothing else, he will get it when he files his 2020 tax return.

Slava Ukraini!