Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrong parent claimed child as dependent instead of qualifying for head of household

iwbi1948
Level 2

divorced parents and one parent claimed child as a dependent rather that just qualifying him for HOH.  He is amending his tax return to correct error.  After that amended return is processed will my client who rightfully claimed him as a dependent automatically be given the additional money due on her tax return?  What is the best way to proceed.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@iwbi1948 wrote:

divorced parents and one parent claimed child as a dependent rather that just qualifying him for HOH.  He is amending his tax return to correct error.  After that amended return is processed will my client who rightfully claimed him as a dependent automatically be given the additional money due on her tax return?  What is the best way to proceed.

No, you would need to wait for that amended return to complete processing then file the return for your client correctly...or if you already filed without the child, youd need to file an amended return....nothing will happen automatically.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Did your client's return get rejected? If so you will have to amend her return.

0 Cheers
Hawk26
Level 3

Amended return would need to be filed first.

Custodial parent (for 2019) can then file with "letter of explanation" (and copy of divorce decree indicating she/he can claim dependent child in odd years (e.g. 2019).

In any event, this could be time consuming for your client.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

From what I've 'heard', there really shouldn't be much of a delay.  I've 'heard' that if two people claim the same dependent the IRS processes the tax returns and refunds as usual, but then sometime later they send notices to resolve the issue.

So *IF* that is correct, the only delay is that the second tax return needs to be filed by mail, rather than e-filing (but with the coronavirus, I suspect that processing paper returns may be slower than usual).

0 Cheers